Trail of the Hiawatha- Rails to Trails

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had to go up to Northern Idaho for a graduation, so we fit an extra day in to ride the Trail of the Hiawatha. It goes through tunnels and over train tressels. The first tunnel is 1.6 miles long and pretty wet inside. The trail descends the whole way then you shuttle back to your car. It was my wife, kids and some in laws including my wife's father who hasn't ridden a bike in many years.

I am starting to get an addiction for Rails to Trails. They are generally nice easy rides and take you through very beautiful country. I am already planning more. Here is Weiser River Trail that we did over Memorial Day.
viewtopic.php?p=167814#p167814

Slide show with more pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9oeHBKN5uw

Start of the tunnel
CIMG1681.JPG

looking down from a tressel.
CIMG1731.JPG

CIMG1744.JPG

CIMG1757.JPG

CIMG1771.JPG

I knew it wouldn't disappoint. Looks like a great time. The first time we rode we didn't have squat for headlights and we entered the long tunnel from the Idaho side so there was no light at the end of the tunnel due to the curve at the end. Was a little scary once you get midway and there is no light at either end. Pitch black.
What did the kids think of the tunnels and trestles?
I think that's a great trail for the family as there is so much to see and no long boring stretches.

I started a rail-to-trail group a few years ago here although it doesn't see a lot of activity. Also you can check for other rails-to-trails on my personal site.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

The kids loved the tunnel and trestles. We did the shuttle as the rode over the top was still covered with snow. Which meant we did the tunnel for a second time. My 6 year old was racing back through the second time. I had to catch up to him. For lights, we rented some for my wife and kids, they sucked for the most part. My light is a P7 flashlight from DealExtreme. It lit up the tunnel like a car. One guy coming in the opposite direction said " I thought you were the end of the tunnel."

Rails to trails rides are great. My dad and I did one in WA a while ago with one of those mile long tunnels, it was awesome. I also remember looking down from one of the trestles and seeing some busted up old train cars at the bottom, pretty cool stuff.

Wow....a 1.6 mile long tunnel. :shock:

I can see how that would be a little scary without headlights.

Sounds like fun though!

thatismytruck said:
I love the Rails to Trails in my area as well. I don't know why I've not searched them out when I'm out camping.

Thanks for the photos. They are great!!

I am definately searching for more.

Rat Rod said:
Wow....a 1.6 mile long tunnel. :shock:

I can see how that would be a little scary without headlights.

Sounds like fun though!

Lots of fun. The be was the kids cause they smiled at every trestle and tunnel.

i've seen pictures of those trestles, man they look cool! hiawatha, mickelson, medicine bow, i gotta get to some rail-trails!!!!

thanks for the pic's and info. this is one of the things my wife and i want to do as soon as we get our money in line is to do as many rails and trails all over the us and find as many goast towns as we can. should be alot of fun. i would like to write a book with pic's about all of this.

Outlaw

OUTLAW said:
this is one of the things my wife and i want to do as soon as we get our money in line is to do as many rails and trails all over the us
That is what we are also attempting. I think we've ridden about 20 rails-to-trails plus several other non rail-trails in 24 states and Canada.

Bendix said:
i've seen pictures of those trestles, man they look cool! hiawatha, mickelson, medicine bow, i gotta get to some rail-trails!!!!
The Mickelson is probably in our top 3 favorites. For us it was a great 3 day ride with towns and hotels at just the right intervals. Don't think I've heard of Medicine Bow.

Man Im sooooo bummed that I didnt get on that ride 3 weeks ago.We traveled by car to my father in laws house i Montana and thats one of the rides me and my wife were planning on.cool pictures!!

Hey cman. I have friends working their way west in their Airstream. I don't know if they have their bikes, but if they do they would love to check this out. What's it called/Where is it? thanks!

There's a short line trail here that I use regularly in northern VA, W&OD railroad. It is paved, but shares space with horse trails and parks, goes right thru several small towns. It goes from from Wash., D.C. to Leesburg and Purcellville, VA .But it pales next to the C&O canal towpath across the river in MD. It runs throughs tree-filled riverbanks and escarpments from Wash., D.C., to the head waters of the Potomac River. It is mostly packed dirt and stone dust, sometimes natural stone or masonry work, occasional pavement, and there are sometimes working locks and boats. There are trestles and an in use double tunnel for train enthusiasts. There are lots of incidental spots to stray off and check out rocks, the river, and the surrounding woods. Georgetown in D.C. has bike rentals, as does Fletcher' boathouse just upstream, and White's ferry, a working river boat crossing some 20mi or so upstream between MD and VA. There are a number of other places upstream as well. If you visit the nation's capital, and you like to ride, I highly recommend it.

Nice Humu! You never see Humu's with the 1994 - 1996 Kona logo - I love their graphic design during those years.

aka_locojoe said:
Here's the website http://www.skilookout.com/hiawatha/
They can rent bikes at the ski place at top.
Sorry I know the question was for Cman.

Thanks Randy. I was out camping for the weekend just got back. Played in the lake, picked huckleberries, and went to a small town rodeo.

That information is correct. We rented a bike for my father in-law and it comes with lights(mandatory for the long tunnel).

ish said:
Nice Humu! You never see Humu's with the 1994 - 1996 Kona logo - I love their graphic design during those years.

Thanks. I never really pinned down the year.

aka_locojoe said:
Funny we were just discussing huckleberries and Idaho with my folks today at breakfast.

Huckleberries can be a precious commodity. It takes so darn long to pick enough just for pancakes let alone a pie.

My mom and her husband just got back from riding the Hiawatha. They rode from the bottom up. They did not make the Taft Tunnel, so she now has a reason to go back.

Back