TREK 820 MAKEOVER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
On Friday I was on my lunch break and drove past an estate sale that had been going all morning. At first I thought...nah...too late, but then I thought, ah well, why not stop, who knows.

They ended up having this ladies Trek 820 sitting in the backyard for $25 so it made its way into my trunk. When I bought it I thought it would be good to clean up and flip. I got it home and put air in the tires and my wife rode it around a little and said she liked the way it rode. We had just bought her a 2009 Trek 7200 a few weeks ago and she had ridden once on our bike path and complained about the awkward feel that it had. We bought a pair from someone and I sold the men's bike last week because I didn't like how it felt either. Both bikes felt as though you were sitting too close to the handlebars.

Well, I looked at her and said...do you like the way this old Trek feels better? She said, you know what...I do like this bike better. I told her I would clean it all up and make a few changes to make it more comfortable for her to ride. Made a trip to Wal-Mart and my LBS for the following:

- 26 x 1.5 street tires & new tubes
- New chain
- Front quick release basket
- Bell wide cruiser seat
- Bottle cage, taillight, front LED light and bell (already had these).

Total investment including bike = $115 :mrgreen:

Here is the before photo...

DSC_0001-21.jpg

Here's the after shots...

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

And here's the bike that is now listed on the CL for $425. :mrgreen:

DSC_0020-1.jpg

schwinnmesa said:
Great job! Looks good. Cool tires too, the front one is backwards though. 8)

Ha Ha..I'd like to say I did that just for you, but I didn't. :lol:

You are the master at catching reversed tread patterns.

Nice bike for the wife. Are you selling the match to the 7200 too?

cman said:
Nice bike for the wife. Are you selling the match to the 7200 too?

I sold the men's version last week and now the ladies version is listed on the CL.

No more shiny new Treks at my house. :mrgreen:

Thats cute! I wish my wife would go for something that wasn't older than she is.... :roll:

Latest posts

Back