Trek Y rescue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trek Y-11 from 96. It was my first dually, first carbon bike, first bike that cost way more than one should really spend on a bike.

Recently spotted this on the local faceache marketplace for cheap so I had to have it.
07D71A2F-A2D0-40C7-876D-7355A64E7B09.jpeg
97969F73-0CBB-4634-9687-ACB6B5E9C074.jpeg
81E74E12-7715-4446-B549-9E5B230FF1D2.jpeg
7474A3A8-EE19-4137-891F-21A447193551.jpeg

It had been listed by another seller for a week or so before, and while I was deciding this seller bought it, gave it a terrible spray bomb and changed the saddle for some reason. Here is a screen shot if he first listing
E1D572AE-84F7-4AC5-9688-D4D7AF56D330.png

I picked it up for $80 so there was little profit for the flipper.

Now for the rescue. Time to make it shiny and rideable.

I’ve stripped it down and looked a bit more closely and found that it is a ‘97 Y-22. Originally thought it was a ‘96 because of the nude carbon look under the purple, parts told me otherwise. Appears the cranks, stem, bars, brake arms, saddle and rims aren’t original.

The paint has come off the forks, derailleur and rear triangle fairly easily with solvent Will take it a bit slower on the carbon, don’t want to damage the epoxy.
Before:
1DDDECCE-C692-4E2A-A3A2-7013C6E8DB67.jpeg

After:
AA20646C-11FC-4DC6-9287-17DA815708FB.jpeg

The forks look shot, but might just need new elastomers. The rear wheel needs replacing with a QR version.

Yes, the bike was thoroughly prepared for paint :13: Fortunately, thanks to poor prep and poor quality paint it isn’t taking much to remove.
Why would someone paint it, you ask? Answer: stolen bike.

Hope its not stolen!
Seems the first seller had attempted a poor paint removal job on the carbon. It looked pretty ratty which is why the quick spray job to tart it up. Same seller I bought another bike off that had been for sale on facebook a few days before and the bike had been given a quick cleanup and upped the price.

Hope its not stolen!
Seems the first seller had attempted a poor paint removal job on the carbon. It looked pretty ratty which is why the quick spray job to tart it up. Same seller I bought another bike off that had been for sale on facebook a few days before and the bike had been given a quick cleanup and upped the price.
Where I live, any spray paint = STOLEN.

These 2 were stolen and then painted over.
fcbc11.jpg

okolk;k.jpg

All of these are stolen. This is only half of the stock in this room.
20191108_181040.jpg

Good thing is your average spray paint is acrylic, so it doesn't stick very well to the factory paint... just takes forever to come off on it's own.

Good thing is your average spray paint is acrylic, so it doesn't stick very well to the factory paint... just takes forever to come off on it's own.
I’ve been doing some light scraping. The purple seems to be coming off quite easily. Have purple ‘glitter’ everywhere. So far it’s come off the curves well, but the bigger flatter sections are a bit harder.

I see a lot of bikes especially higher and vintage racing bikes that are spray painted very poorly and I know there not stolen but instead previously owned by some hipster who doesn't know what they have because they have bullhorn bars and missing derailleur pieces and weird combinations to try to look like a fixie.

I got my 1st road bike at 13 and it broke when I was 14 and last year I did happen to find the same model in the scrapyard but it was spray painted so I decided to take it home and turn it into a single speed. I already have a really nice rear free wheel hub 700 C wheel with a track axle install on it that I will space so it will work with the frame. The cranks, bars, and seat are stuff that I put on. It was originally a 3x7 with bullhorn bars and only a front brake.

20210101_164454.jpg

Latest posts

Back