Trip to Ketchum Idaho

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So my wife and I took a trip out to Ketchum Idaho last week for a relatives wedding. We did squeeze in some time to see the sights and do a little biking, kiking and relaxing too. The weathe was a bit cooler than back east and there was one day of rain (wedding day). Ketchum may be the most bike friendly town I have ever visited. Super nice bike paths in town and an incredible trail network out in the dirt. The town had lots of green space, lots of interresting sculptures all over the place. Mostly steel and rock which kind of goes well with the rugged landscape. Our hotel offered free cruisers and the bride and groom were kind enough to lend us their mountain bikes. We had originally figured on renting so we packed our clipless pedals and helmets. In testament to the outdoor spirit of the town, I found 5 bike/ski shops in town (but may have missed one). They even built a pump track near one of the large parks, at 8:00Am on Saturday morning there were already 4 kids in there.

The long road in from Boise
June2011SunValleyID174.jpg

Some storefronts in downtown Ketchum
June2011SunValleyID057.jpg

nome
June2011SunValleyID264.jpg

Forget the Coker 36er..
June2011SunValleyID033.jpg

the pump track
June2011SunValleyID038.jpg

Cruiser at Lefty's Bar & Grill (really good burgers and fries!)
June2011SunValleyID039.jpg

Bikes, bikes, bikes
June2011SunValleyID045.jpg

June2011SunValleyID043.jpg

June2011SunValleyID046.jpg

Bird sculpture
June2011SunValleyID300.jpg

Big balls
June2011SunValleyID296.jpg

June2011SunValleyID299.jpg

quaint little house outside of town..
June2011SunValleyID184.jpg

Parking lot at Adams Gulch Trail, we rode the Shady Side single track up and down. I took a refreshing dip in the brook. The trails were so much fun, hard packed, fast and curvey! I shot a bunch of video that I'll put of later of this trail. I'm on a borrowed Giant Reign.
June2011SunValleyID060.jpg

Wife on her borrowed pink Marin at the base of a rockslide.
June2011SunValleyID065.jpg

Hmmm, is that rideable?
June2011SunValleyID067.jpg

So glad the hotel has an outdoor hot tub cranked to 103! That's the remains of an avalance behind me with mud on both sides, snow in the middle mixed with broken trees, i rode it 3 or 4 times for the fun of it.
June2011SunValleyID069.jpg

Heading up Coral Creek trail,
June2011SunValleyID070.jpg

On the side of the Coral Creek trail
June2011SunValleyID075.jpg

View of Mt. Baldy from Coral Creek Trail
June2011SunValleyID089.jpg

Goodbye Ketchum

June2011SunValleyID307.jpg

xxx

Good to hear your trip was nice. The weather has been really cool this past June. The saying in Idaho is if you don't like the weather , wait 5 minutes.

Last time I saw Baldy, my skis were pointed downhill and there was 8 feet of snow on it.

Hey Clancy, we weren't quite prepared for the cooler than North East weather but we didn't let that stop us. When we opened the window shades on the plane and saw snow covered peaks we were like :shock: :shock: :shock: . Everyone there was commenting on the unusual weather, we could see our breath on Saturday afternoon at the outdoor wedding. I'd love to get back there sometime for skiing or boarding in the winter, I can only imagine what it looks like in winter. I was thinking of contacting you since we were in Boise but it was kind of a whirlwind tour..

I left town for the mountains last weekend also.

That ski hill will punish you after skiing it all day. Top to bottom is a true leg burner. 3,400 feet total vertical (Sun Valley's "Challenger" chair is "the CHAIRLIFT with the most vertical in North America" at 3,142 vertical feet)

Wife and I were both sucking wind while biking, I live at ±550' above sea level and Ketchum is at what, 5000+?

Having the camera along helped though so could disguise my out of cardiovascular shapeness with video and photo duties 8). There was a lot of "oh, this section looks nice, I'll stop here and you ride by" going on :D

Nice pics. The west is so nice, why do I live in this hot, humid, oversized veggie garden? :roll: When my wife retires...I'll "go west young man". Oh wait, I'll "go west old man". See you there. Gary

Latest posts

Back