tripple tree stem question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B4 i go beating this with the hammer is ther a way to seperate the bottom bracket from the stem and still keep both items able to go back together? i'm guess they're just pressed on but figured i'd ask b4 i destroy. There's a long drawn out reason on why so i won't go into it. Thanks in advance.

stemquestion.jpg

Upper Class White Trash said:
pin in other side?????? whats it look like at the bottom??

it's smooth it does have the normal "bearing ring" on top of the bracket i'm thinking if i can get that off (can't hit it cause bracket in the way" it should come off maybe i'll try the press at work tomorrow anyway here's an under shot

stembottom.jpg

i'd say yes pressed on. had to see bottom to be sure. mine has a set pin in it

It's not threaded into it is it? Just a thought...

ok well i have to ask why do you need to remove it? i would think that beating the lower crown is going to make it not very usable and the steer looks messed up as well. that is a pressed deal they are really in there and some companys use a joint compound that makes it even tighter.

If there is no pin or bolt, then you can press those parts off each other, and re-press them together. Back in the day at the LBS we had that done all the time. Never had a problem.

Hugo

karfer67 said:
ok well i have to ask why do you need to remove it? i would think that beating the lower crown is going to make it not very usable and the steer looks messed up as well. that is a pressed deal they are really in there and some companys use a joint compound that makes it even tighter.
i bent the front fork leg on my thrown together mountain bike. The only other suspension fork i had the legs wouldn't fit into the crown and the steer tube on the other forks was to long and not threaded long enough. But anyway the press thing worked perfect and now my bike is together again :D

Back