Two Parts Bikes *Third Score in a Week!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update* - scroll down for the second score of the week!

I went for a drive today trying to diagnose a problem with my car, while driving down one of those rarely used streets I stumbled upon a small shop with a dozen or so bikes sitting out front. After a look see and a long chat with the owner I picked out this Sears "Free Spirit" mostly because of the Shimano 3 speed coaster brake hub and a price I simply could not refuse ...$35!! :shock: I honestly just wanted the hub but the nicely sculpted grips and matching, but quite worn, persons seat might look pretty good on a build. I might even use the frame as the base for some kind of board track rat... Any ideas??

100_4430.jpg

100_4433.jpg

100_4434.jpg

After that was safely home I decided to go on another mini adventure and wouldnt you know it I spotted a small crop of bikes sitting in front of the local pawn shop. Nothing Vintage, but I have been thinking about picking up one of these dual suspension MTBs for an idea of mine. Of course the price was right on this one also at $45! It features an Aluminum frame, shimano hubs, and some unique looking handle bars that I just might need to use on something.
It also has a pair of unusual looking Bell slick tires that I've not seen before, they are labeled "Cheng Shin Tire" and are 26x1.90 Whats the deal on those?

100_4429.jpg

100_4438.jpg

100_4440.jpg

100_4441.jpg

Unfortuantely while out for a test ride I discovered a possible reason for the cheap price tag...
Judging by the rust I believe this articulated section of the frame is steel, do you guys think it could be simply bent back into shape?
100_4450.jpg

One last question... What would need to be done to use this style of fork on a vintage frame? Just swap the parts and good to go? or is there more to it?
100_4448.jpg

Thanks in advance guys! Its nice to be working on something again. Now to find a nice vintage frame to abuse with my ideas...

Re: Two Bikes Full of good parts in One day!

Fair chances on the fork swap. It's either 1" (straight swap, probable) or 1 1/8" (some guys here have managed it). Compare the top nut with the one on your Free Spirit, it uses the old timer size, so if it's the same, steer tube/head tube length is the next thing to consider.
While it's sometimes possible to straighten steel bike parts without disaster, I wouldn't trust that dropout anywhere near as far as I could throw the bike. For the price, I'd say strip it for parts.

Re: Two Bikes Full of good parts in One day!

The rear dropout can be bent back, just take an adjustable C clamp and clamp it afterthat lol Wonder why americans have 3 speed gears on the left side of alot of old bikes...

*Third Score in a Week!*

I went out garage saleing today and after three or four with absolutely nothing of interest to me I decided to hit one more on my way home. As soon as I pulled up I spotted this bright blue cantilever frame and knew it would follow me home. Turns out to be a Sears Free Spirit... How odd that its the same name as the road bike I picked up earlier this week? Anyways, I Finally have the cruiser frame that I've been looking for! Lucky for me I have the next few days off so I can try to put my plan into action. Notice that all three of these bikes are on the same page... that should give you a hint where I'm headed :wink:

100_4496.jpg

100_4497.jpg

100_4498.jpg

They're like rabbits...
100_4502.jpg

If you don't already know, your "Free Spirit" bicycles were made during the 70's by Murray Manufacturing Co. of Ohio.
The condition of the blue one is pretty remarkable. It might be early 80's.

deorman said:
If you don't already know, your "Free Spirit" bicycles were made during the 70's by Murray Manufacturing Co. of Ohio.
The condition of the blue one is pretty remarkable. It might be early 80's.
I can honestly say I had no clue, but I never really checked on it either. I was under the assumption that none of these bikes have much value (not many things sold at Sears do :wink: ) The cruiser's condition is fairly astonishing to me too, especially if it might date back to the 70's. Other than some scratches the paint is flawless and glossy, all of the chrome is still quite shiny and other than the MTB tires (which rub the fenders) its in perfect working condition. I was going to pop off the fenders and ride it, but it seems the rear fender is firmly attached to the frame :roll: I've not seen that before. But fear not, a solution will be found.. Thanks for the info!

Not worth much monetarily, but good fun factor. The Bendix drive's a bit sturdier than the Hystop/Shimano stuff that anything much newer comes with. I'd lose the chainguard too, but don't tell Ralph Nader! :lol:

RocketeerRat said:
other than the MTB tires (which rub the fenders) its in perfect working condition. I was going to pop off the fenders and ride it, but it seems the rear fender is firmly attached to the frame :roll: I've not seen that before. But fear not, a solution will be found..
Let the pavement wear down the tires :lol:

Latest posts

Back