Two Stingrays at Ann Arbor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So a guy walked in pushing a '68 Stingray Deluxe. He was the original owner and was asking a price that I felt was more than fair, so I bought it. The seat post is bent, the seat is messed up and the fender is loose, but it is 100% original down to the tires and in better than average overall condition. Should be easy fixes. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up. The other is a Tiger I bought for my grandson....

2stingrays.jpg

stingray.jpg

tiger.jpg

Funny story about the Stingray....I found this really nice condition purple '66 Stingray. The graphics were a little rough, but it had the two speed kickback and was all original. The wheels and fenders were pretty much spotless. Paint had a couple of bad spots, but overall it was really nice. I bought it for $275. I was heading to the car when the guy rolls up with the Green Deluxe. I had a green with a shifter when I was a kid. He told me what he wanted for it, so I was really torn. I mean I didn't plan to buy one Stingray, let alone two. I decided it was too good of a deal, so I bought it. So, now I am walking around pushing a '66 purple and a '68 green Stingray. This guy walks up and asks if I am selling. I told him I would consider selling the purple '66. I told him straight up that I paid $275 for it. I mean it was worth at least $350. His 15yo son was really digging the bike, so he said they would take it. The kid busts out his wallet, which impressed me that a 15 yo is digging into his own wallet to buy a 1966 vintage bike....so I sold it to him for $260. Hey, I lost $15, but I figured I had walked into a couple of good deals, so why not pass it on.

I have seen Lil Tiger prices all over the map. I have seen them as high as $400....On ebay, they tend to go for $250-$275 range....this weekend there were several between the two shows (Memory Lane/Ann Arbor). Most were in poor condition and ran anywhere from $100-150. I am talking trashed fenders, wheels, etc. I paid $125 for mine. The nicest one I saw was a little better than the one I bought. The guy was super nice, but he was firm at $175. The seat on that one was "better" than mine, but still had a few rips and still needed replaced....also the wheels were a little better, but still needed some attention. I figured it wasn't worth another $50 if I still had to replace/repair the same parts.

Latest posts

Back