Typhoon Too

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After some wandering with my dog this afternoon I decided to change the direction I was going to go with my recent Typhoon find.

ingola's build likely influenced me along with the klunker threads here. I'd like to be using a '62 frame also because that's the year I was born, but a few weeks ago I ended up with a '69 Typhoon frame, so that's what I'll be using. I had already started a thread in the build section, but it was intended to be a cruiser then. I already have a bike for that. So here we are.

Here's what I'm starting with.
Frame_6060.JPG

Before deciding what I wanted to do, I broke one of my own rules and ordered parts - a fork and chainguard.
Frame_6066.JPG

But today I ordered a tubular fork for it with canti brake mounts. Will the chainguard get used? Maybe. Fork won't.

I bought a Breeze as a donor bike and will be taking the rear hub and crank/bottom bracket from it. The hub is a two speed Bendix kick-back. Yeah, I had already rebuilt it before the build began.
Hub_6225.JPG

And that's about all I have for it right now. Most of the rest of the parts will be sourced (as in I'll give up and order new stuff) as time goes on (as in when I get up tomorrow and bmxguru.com is taking orders again). I do have a couple bikes that I'll pull a couple things off of, but I'll cover those as they happen. Because I change my mind on these things. A lot.

Oh, yeah, the title "Typhoon Too". Because I'm jumping in after ingola, and it's going to be a two speed. It's not the bike's name, I don't name bikes. Except for a certain 900SS Super Light. But that's on a different forum.

Welcome to the build off and to the RRB forum! Looking forward to your Typhoon, too. Keep the posts and updates coming! RaT oN~!

Welcome to the forum. I have a Typhoon in the same color and have changed it so many times in 10 years I’ve had it.

It'll be great with that fork. I was going to add a BMX fork to my 80 Typhoon, but one of the Airmen where I worked wanted the bike, so she got it with the original forks and the chain guard a week later.

2zso5g3.jpg

I really dig cantilever framed klunkers, they just look cool. And the old Schwinns are great riders so you are going to have a really cool klunk. I'll do a canti klunk someday. Or 2. Hopefully not more. 🤣 Great looking frame and good luck with the build!

As much as I'd like to install a 3 piece crank in this, it makes no sense right now so today I went to install the bottom bracket and crank off my Breeze donor bike that came free with the rear hub.

BreezeSide_6140.JPG

It cost less than what I'm seeing kickback hubs selling for, so it made sense at the time. But now I have a Breeze I want to rebuild even though I have no use for it when it's done. I SHOULD part it out, but I have a thing for tending to neglected bikes. But that's another story.

So yeah, I was going to install the crank today but realized I hadn't cleaned it yet. So that's what I did.
BB_6273.JPG

I know the bearings still have some grease in them. I'll get to it - I have time because I need to remove the rust from the crank and sprocket too. I bought some Evapo-rust after hearing people rave about it, but so far I'm not all that impressed. I had the stem soaking in it for days and it still left a couple spots. I have "Must for Rust" that I've used on motorycle projects and it's minutes vs hours to get things done, but the process is to brush it on, let it sit, then scrub it. Repeat as needed. I did a portion of the crank arm with it but didn't have the time (aka din't feel like) doing the whole crank, so I set it up to soak one half at a time. I suppose the Evapo-rust might work better if I scrubbed it at some point too? I've also heard it works beeter when warm? I dunno. It's just soaking for now.
Crank_6274.JPG

Hopefully it goes quicker than the stem. I also did the chain ring, luckily that one does both sides at once.
ChainRing_6276.JPG

No, that plate isn't going to get used again for eating. It's got a big chip on teh back and wifey was tossing it.

With those derustifying I pressed the cups in the frame with my Klunker approved cup presser inner tool.
BB_6277.JPG

Now to get the rest of the parts ordered...

As much as I'd like to install a 3 piece crank in this, it makes no sense right now so today I went to install the bottom bracket and crank off my Breeze donor bike that came free with the rear hub.

BreezeSide_6140.JPG

It cost less than what I'm seeing kickback hubs selling for, so it made sense at the time. But now I have a Breeze I want to rebuild even though I have no use for it when it's done. I SHOULD part it out, but I have a thing for tending to neglected bikes. But that's another story.

So yeah, I was going to install the crank today but realized I hadn't cleaned it yet. So that's what I did.
BB_6273.JPG

I know the bearings still have some grease in them. I'll get to it - I have time because I need to remove the rust from the crank and sprocket too. I bought some Evapo-rust after hearing people rave about it, but so far I'm not all that impressed. I had the stem soaking in it for days and it still left a couple spots. I have "Must for Rust" that I've used on motorycle projects and it's minutes vs hours to get things done, but the process is to brush it on, let it sit, then scrub it. Repeat as needed. I did a portion of the crank arm with it but didn't have the time (aka din't feel like) doing the whole crank, so I set it up to soak one half at a time. I suppose the Evapo-rust might work better if I scrubbed it at some point too? I've also heard it works beeter when warm? I dunno. It's just soaking for now.
Crank_6274.JPG

Hopefully it goes quicker than the stem. I also did the chain ring, luckily that one does both sides at once.
ChainRing_6276.JPG

No, that plate isn't going to get used again for eating. It's got a big chip on teh back and wifey was tossing it.

With those derustifying I pressed the cups in the frame with my Klunker approved cup presser inner tool.
BB_6277.JPG

Now to get the rest of the parts ordered...
Citric acid 11 bucks a pound works great. Mix with water and soak parts. I find rust remover tends to leave black marks where the rust use to be.

Interesting cup press. I've never pressed cups. I take a 2x4, rest it on the cup, then smack it with a hammer. Final installation is just smacking the cup directly with the hammer in circles. :bigsmile:
That is my typical procedure too. The truth of it is, I was too lazy to take the frame out of the stand to lay it down on something.

Years ago I was installing cups on an Airdyne excercisor. For some reason I was using a big hammer. And talking to someone as I did it. So I'm holding th ecup with my hand, smacking it with a hammer, moving around in a circle. Smack, move hand, smack, move hand, smack, move hand other direction since I wasn't that flexible.

The hammer was in motion. A little voice in my head said this wasn't gonna work but the hammer swinging hand said "huh?" and the hammer came crashing down on my cup holding hand instead of the cup.

It wasn't the first time I've done stuff like that. I've hit myself in the face with a crow bar too. I'm kinda talented like that.

Is that tricks of the trade or the school of hard knocks? Gotta love it!
I'm going with the school on that one. Most of the time I laugh it off in a "Geez I'm such an idiot" sort of way, but one time I stabbed myself in the eyebrow with a knife. That one scared me, it could have gone very badly.

I'm going with the school on that one. Most of the time I laugh it off in a "Geez I'm such an idiot" sort of way, but one time I stabbed myself in the eyebrow with a knife. That one scared me, it could have gone very badly.
Yikes, no fun. I once gave myself 2 black eyes doing a brake job on my truck. Pliers slipped.

I put the crank on today. Then the chainguard. Spun the crank. Hit the chainguard. Scratched it. D'oh!

It was already dinged up so not the end of the world but what a rookie move. I got everything to clear but I doubt I'll use it anyway. I didn't take pictures. Imagine a Typhoon frame with a shiny-ish one piece crank.

I also put the front wheel from my '88 Rockhopper Comp on just for yucks. I'm stealing the tires for this bike because the RH is a bit small for me and I rarely ride it anyway. No reason to let a set of tires dry rot on it.

When I had the RockHopper sitting next to the Typhoon it occured to me I could have pulled most of the parts off of it instead of ordering new stuff. But then I wouldn't have it to rarely ride anymore.

Tonight I was searching bikes on marketplace and came across the twin of my Rock Hopper, except the next size larger. Same year, same graphics, larger frame. A few changes but nothing major. He wants too much for it, it needs work... but... between that bike and mine, I could make a Rock Hopper that's not too small and have most of what I'd need to make a pretty sweet klunker... but I already ordered what I need for that.

I suppose the logical solution is to turn up the search for a '62 Schwinn frame. So I can do this all over again.

This madness all started when I got a free Typhoon frame. Repeat after me - there is nothing more expensive than a free bike... I've heard versions of that for ages and it never registers.

He's already cut the price in half once, and it's still too much. Forget it? Wait it out? Lowball offer? Hmm.... I really don't need more projects!

The big brown truck stopped by today!
Parts_6291.jpg

Yeah, doesn't look like much, because it really isn't. The fork won't arrive until later in the week and that's what I'm really waiting for.

But there were a couple things I could play with. When I was ordering this I saw seat post clamps on sale. I needed a 24.5 clamp I think, and the smallest they had was 25.4. But they also sold a shim to bring a 21.1 stem up to 22.2. That's the wrong diameter but (almost) the right thickness, so what the heck. I'm not a fan of the stock clamp, that shim should open up enough to fit, and it doesn't go around the entire tube so maybe being a touch thick wouldn't be an issue.

Proof of concept looked good
SeatpostClamp_6293.jpg

So I cut it down and slipped it all in place with a new post.
SeatpostClamp_6302.jpg

The nice thing about the new post is, it's larger on top so common seat hardware fits and it can't fall down into the frame. I had a clamp and seat on the shelf so I slapped those on too.
Seat_6298.jpg

At some point it occurred to me that I was planning to put a road hub on the front of what was now intended to be an off road bike... while my Sanctuary 7 cruisier had a Deore XT hub on it... That's silly. If you're going to build two wheels you may as well build three, right?

I did the time honored tape the new rim on the old one switcheroo to get teh Deore hub on the Typhoon.
Rims_6316.jpg

Sanctuary 7 on top (not a stock rim) and Typhoon on bottom. I know what you're thinking - I didn't buy the rims I said I was going to! No, I did not. Because I changed my mind.

Are you seeing a pattern here???

I bought these instead for a few reasons. They aren't polished. They are a name brand. They cost $5 less per rim. And the ERD was .25mm off what I have written down for the Sanctuary 7 rims. That means I could use the same spokes with the Deore hub.

When I put the two rims side by side I had my doubts though. It looked like the one had a dropped center and the other didn't. The good news is the spokes were a touch on the long side for the old rims, so they worked out great for the new ones. I meant to put a picture here showing the spokes in the new rim, but I managed to delete all my photos from today before I intended to, so here's one that got saved before the delete, showing the rim contours, old on left, new on right.
Rims_6315.jpg

I was pretty happy with how this rim trued up. I was going to wait to put the tire on but once the wheel was done I had to see how it looked. That picture got deleted so here's one of the hub in place in the wrong fork instead.
Hub_6327.jpg

Tomorrow the new front hub I'm not using on this, pedals I will probably use, and a new chain that it turns out I don't need are supposed to show up. The next step will probably be ordering spokes for the next two wheels. Then maybe harvest more parts off the RockHopper while I wait for the fork.

Then I'll be waiting for spokes to lace up the rear wheel. And then... it will be done?

Nope.

I won't call it done because I have a tendancy to change my mind. All bets are off until much closer to the deadline.

Welcome to RRB. My first RRB build was a 78 Typhoon. Cool parts.

Looking good there mate. Nice work on that seat clamp. The earlier forged steel clamps Schwinn used work much better than the later pressed steel ones. I would lift that clamp to the top of the seat mast. It will look a lot nicer.

Latest posts

Back