Typhoon Too

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disappointment yesterday. My parts order showed up and was missing two of the top three things I wanted. Turns out there was a software glitch and they weren't in stock after all. And the third thing that I wanted and got? Won't fit where I wanted to use it. Live and learn.

One of the out of stock items was a round 36 tooth chainring for the Typhoon. So... whatever. Go with the Biopace! Yep, you can use Biopace rings with coaster brake hubs, the chain tension doesn't change much during their rotation. Sure doesn't seem that would be the case when you look at the chainring spinning though! Being the genius that I am, I didn't take another one with the chain on, but trust me, it works. (I already put the '56 Racer back in the stand and am too lazy to go change things up to take another video. Someday, someday...)

Removing the outer ring meant the bolts would be too long, but I had a solution to that - use the spacers that were on the inner ring. But they are sized to fit the bolt part, not the nut part, so they won't work. I was just about to go buy some aluminum to make some when I spotted the remnants of a hollow exhaust hanger rod (I worked in the exhaust industry for too many years). Looks pretty close to me. Go with it!
Typhoon_6638.JPG

A date with a beat to crap old lathe I inherited from my dad. Random tangent - For some reason, standing next to that thing today triggered some old memories and I realized how many things around my shop used to be his, or were influenced by him. I think he'd really like seeing what I've been up to. He's been gone going on 25 years but there are still times it's like a gut punch when I think about it. But I digress...
Typhoon_6639.JPG

And before you know it, spacers! They aren't fancy annodized alloy but they'll work. After a bit of clean up anyway.
Typhoon_6645.JPG

Bolt stuff together, slide on the misssing grip, cut the chain to length, and.. it's "done"?
Typhoon_6658.JPG

I can't think of anything else to do to it right now so outside we go.
Typhoon_6662.JPG

Typhoon_6663.JPG

Typhoon_6665.JPG

And I made it back from the test ride with no mechanical or physical issues! The Typhoon. Tearing up lawns since 1969!
Typhoon_6667.JPG

Is it DONE? Well....

On my brief ride I discovered I may want a longer stem. I'll leave it as is for now but I might want to have more of a reach.

The gearing is just about right. I haven't been on a bike for ages so top gear seemed MAYBE a little bit of a push... but the low gear seemed like it was low enough for what I'll need, so I'll call it good.

I may or may not order a round chainring the next time I'm ordering things. There IS a change in tension throughout the stroke, but it's not major. Still, I've never been a fan of biopace rings. I may be fooling myself but I always balemd them for my deteriorating wheelie skills back in the day, they just haven't got the right feel to them. On the other hand, the amount of backpedling needed to engage the brake on this is more than I'm used to, so that's almost asking to end up on my butt when trying to wheelie it...

Disappointment yesterday. My parts order showed up and was missing two of the top three things I wanted. Turns out there was a software glitch and they weren't in stock after all. And the third thing that I wanted and got? Won't fit where I wanted to use it. Live and learn.

One of the out of stock items was a round 36 tooth chainring for the Typhoon. So... whatever. Go with the Biopace! Yep, you can use Biopace rings with coaster brake hubs, the chain tension doesn't change much during their rotation. Sure doesn't seem that would be the case when you look at the chainring spinning though! Being the genius that I am, I didn't take another one with the chain on, but trust me, it works. (I already put the '56 Racer back in the stand and am too lazy to go change things up to take another video. Someday, someday...)

View attachment 213767

Removing the outer ring meant the bolts would be too long, but I had a solution to that - use the spacers that were on the inner ring. But they are sized to fit the bolt part, not the nut part, so they won't work. I was just about to go buy some aluminum to make some when I spotted the remnants of a hollow exhaust hanger rod (I worked in the exhaust industry for too many years). Looks pretty close to me. Go with it!
Typhoon_6638.JPG

A date with a beat to crap old lathe I inherited from my dad. Random tangent - For some reason, standing next to that thing today triggered some old memories and I realized how many things around my shop used to be his, or were influenced by him. I think he'd really like seeing what I've been up to. He's been gone going on 25 years but there are still times it's like a gut punch when I think about it. But I digress...
Typhoon_6639.JPG

And before you know it, spacers! They aren't fancy annodized alloy but they'll work. After a bit of clean up anyway.
Typhoon_6645.JPG

Bolt stuff together, slide on the misssing grip, cut the chain to length, and.. it's "done"?
Typhoon_6658.JPG

Typhoon_6662.JPG

Typhoon_6663.JPG

Typhoon_6665.JPG

And I made it back from the test ride with no mechanical or physical issues! The Typhoon. Tearing up lawns since 1969!
Typhoon_6667.JPG

Is it DONE? Well....

On my brief ride I discovered I may want a longer stem. I'll leave it as is for now but I might want to have more of a reach.

The gearing is just about right. I haven't been on a bike for ages so top gear seemed MAYBE a little bit of a push... but the low gear seemed like it was low enough for what I'll need, so I'll call it good.

I may or may not order a round chainring the next time I'm ordering things. There IS a change in tension throughout the stroke, but it's not major. Still, I've never been a fan of biopace rings. I may be fooling myself but I always balemd them for my deteriorating wheelie skills back in the day, they just haven't got the right feel to them. On the other hand, the amount of backpedling needed to engage the brake on this is more than I'm used to, so that's almost asking to end up on my butt when trying to wheelie it...
It's never "done"

Bike looks tight! Really nice work blending of '60s , '80s and '90s parts together, very cohesive build.

@DesmoDog , what's the O.D. of that stem? 22.2 ? I've got a couple that might work for you. And probably a couple round chain rings that will fit that spider. Drop me a line and we'll chat.

View attachment 213767

Typhoon_6638.JPG

Typhoon_6639.JPG

Typhoon_6645.JPG

Typhoon_6658.JPG

Typhoon_6662.JPG

Typhoon_6663.JPG

Typhoon_6665.JPG

Typhoon_6667.JPG

Is it DONE? Well....

Sweet! I’ve got a biopace on a vintage Peugeot road bike.

theres a lot of hub-bub over those things….. I like it.

not sure if it’s the design of the biopace or my cadence mixed with the design, but when I ride that bike, it flies. -particularly from a cold stop.

The Typhoon is patiently waiting for the '56 Racer to free up the stand so it can get it's new stem.

And now that you mention it... I almost forgot! I ordered some el cheapo crank arms for it. They're supposed to be here on Tuesday along with the Racer's chain. I think I'll have most of what I need to put my "mistakes were made" Rockhopper back togther too. The Typhoon will still have the Rockhopper's bottom bracket, but once the new crank arms are here I'll know what size I need to order so that can go back too.

I was working on the Racer today when I got the idea to hang this thing and see what it weighs.

Weight_6671.JPG

12.5 lbs! Ok, not really. It's spun around once already so it's about 32.5 lbs.
Ha-Ha! She’s light as a feather! -anyone can ride a 12 pound bike Indefinitely! Steel is real! Grip and rip! Looks great!

I finally worked on the Typhoon a little more today.

Compliments of OddJob I had a stem with a little longer reach to install. It was missing it's upperstemboltdoohickey thing but I had a universal fit one on my bench.
Stem_6867.JPG

After a little work with a file and a drill bit I had a new upperstemboltdoohickey thing and all was well
Stem_6874.JPG

I didn't get it installed because as soon as I got the bike in the stand I started playing with the crank instead.

While looking for a round chainring to replace the Bipoace ring that's on there, I found an entire crank that cost less than any ring I had seen. Here's the cheapest crankset I've ever seen...
Crank_6879.JPG

Crank_6885.JPG

It went on just fine but as expected I need a shorter bottom bracket spindle. Maybe yo can see the chainline being off here.
Chainline_6882.JPG

That's fine, I wanted to put this bottom bracket and crank back in the Rockhopper it came out of anyway. It looks like I need to move the chaingring in about 10mm. The spindle in there is a 122.5 IIRC, so I'd need a 112? Or would that be a 102? I'll have to look that up again, I've forgotten...

D-Dog, the stem bolt cap looks great!

Just wondering, what is your spacing look like on the non-driveside crank? Is it possible the BB spindle is flipped 180° ? It seems like that 122.5 spindle should be about the right length.

I put a little more work into the Typhoon today. Changed out the stem which invovled making a spacer for the headset since I was removing the brake cable stop (and was too lazy to cut it to the right length)

IMG_6890.JPG

The stem is taller than the cable stop I removed so the cable was too short now. But, the carrier cable was already too short so I put a new one in and used the old brake cable.

IMG_6891.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6894.JPG

So there it is with it's trick top bolt thingamabobdohickey and new carrier cable. Thanks OddJob! And as soon as I was done taking pictures, I pulled hard on the brak elever and slipped the cable. D'oh! So it still needs work but I moved on to the littel Ducati in teh background so the final tweaks will have to wait.

Last edited:
Nice work on the stem mods DD! Typhoon is looking good.

There was a motorcycle in that back ground? :rolleyes:

I fell into the marketing hype this year and bought a bunch of stuff over Black Friday and Cyber Monday and whatever else they call it to stretch out the sales.

Anywhos, one of those things was a new bottom bracket for the Typhoon, so I could improve the chainline and put the worn out one back on the POS Rockhopper Comp I stole it from.

Hey... I hadn't noticed it was a cartridge BB when I ordered it! Wow, I gotta say I'm impressed what you can get for $20, and that wasn't even on sale. No, seriously, it seems really nice! Nice enough I may keep my eyes open for a decent crank set now.
BottomBracket_6926.JPG

The RHC part had a 122.5mm spindle. This one is a 103. I don't have the tool to tighten it in place so it's all finger tight but the chainline looks great if I use the smaller ring
Chainline_6915.JPG

And acceptable/much improved using the outer. Yeah, the wheel isn't sitting quite right in these shots (the axle nut isn't tight) but you get the idea.
Chainline_6916.JPG

I also got a few parts for the '62 Racer I've got stashed away. And since I needed to spend a few more bucks to get free shipping the Typhoon ended up with these valve caps.
Cap_6911.JPG

I've thought this was more or less "done" a couple times now, but whenever I work on it I find something else that can get tweaked, or change my mind about something I labeled "good enough". Earlier I mentioned a spacer I made for the headset? Today I decided that wasn't going to cut it, so I pulled the fork and trimmed it down a touch, just like I should have done to begin with. You'll have to look closer at earlier pics to see the spacer, but here it is without it. I never even rode it with the spacer installed.
Headset_6923.JPG

I am also going to re-dish the rear wheel. I thought it was close enough but it bugs me so I'll put it in the stand and move the rim over to center it better in the frame.

A couple weeks ago I started volunteering at a local bike co-op. They probably have the tool I need to install the bottom bracket so I'll drag it over there on Sunday and do the final install. After that I can put the rest back together and it will be well and truly... DONE?

Probably not. That '62 Racer I mentioned needs a rear hub, and this two speed might work well there? In any case, I'm kind of sort of thinking about picking up a coaster 3 speed bike as a donor. That hub could end up in either bike... stay tuned.

Oh oh oh! And that violet colored Breeze I was hoping my wife might ride? That she said "NO" to instantly? She saw the frame last weekend and said "Well see..." but that means I'd have to buy yet ANOTHER donor to replace all the parts I stole from it after she said she had no interest. I think seeing the '56 Racer and the Typhoon softened her up to the idea a bit though.

said "Well see..." but that means I'd have to buy yet ANOTHER donor to replace all the parts I stole from it after she said she had no interest.
Haha! I love it when the project snowballs. It's cool that your wife is into it now though. The Typhoon is looking great, nice work!

I brought the frame in to the co-op last weekend and tightened up the bottom bracket. When I got home I put the crank arms on for real and was surprised at how much further they pulled on to the spindle when tightened down. Enough that I was getting some light rubbing. Off came the arms and out came the Dremel.

The left side got a minor recontour of the arm, and then I hit it with a black paint pen. There isn't much clearance there, but it's not rubbing anymore.
Crank_6948.JPG

On the right side it needed a little more work. I recontoured the arm the same way, but when I put it back on there was still some contact. Off with it's arm... and witness marks on the bottom bracket showed the tabs on the inner chainring needed to come off. You can see them on an earlier pic of the back side of the arm. I'm not sure why there were there to begin with so they got snipped.
Crank_6947.JPG

With the arms snugged up the chain line is pretty good. Not perfect, but I can't go any shorter on the spindle. Good enough for who it's for!
Chainline_6952.JPG

So this is the final set up... for now.
Mockup_6956.JPG

And once again, the valve cap, because when I looked down and saw it I laughed. I only bought these to push the total over the free shipping amount but they make me laugh so money well spent. Not as well spent as the bottom bracket but still.
Valvecap_6959.JPG

Next I need to hook up the front brake again, but tighten the cable hanger this time. Then this will be done! I decided not to steal the rear hub for the Racer. Now I'm on the lookout for a single speed Bendix coaster for that one. Unless another two speed donor bike shows up?

it looks like the inside sprocket will have a better line to the rear, is there any chance ya can place the big front sproket closer, maybe turn it around, or even use just the inside sproket and get less teeth on the rear may work, I like the new top cap thingy maddoohicky too, goo improvisation!
Oooops sorry didnt see the new lined up chain!... YEP! thats better and it all looks really tight n clean! Nice!

Latest posts

Back