Ummm .... little help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
someone thought lining the bottom of the stove with aluminum foil was a good idea :roll: now theres metal on the bottom of the stove and a fragrant burnt iron smeel when you try to bake anything, any body have any idea how to get it off without scarring up the stove ?

If i'm removing sticker residue from set item, i usually dab it repeatedly with duct tape. (sticky side)

perhaps something similar might work for you? (I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem at hand)

May seem silly, but what about oven cleaner?

Oh yeah, tape will pull that right off.

get a role of duct tape/packing tape, wrap it around your hand/fingers sticky side out, and just dab away.

i dont know man, im willing to try it but thats what it looked like after 3 hours with a razor blade, its pretty much fused with the coating on the bottom panel now. my wife is a afraid of any chemical remedy (i also explained how nasty oven cleaner we used to bathe our old stove in really is too) so were down to physically removing it or replacing the panel if we can get one.

Anything with a really low ph should help break up the aluminum.
I've heard both ketchup and coca-cola will disolve aluminum.

You could also try using muriatic acid.(watered down if needed)

When i was a teen,we used to make pop bottle bombs (muriatic acid-tin foil balls)
place tin foil balls in plastic pop bottle, pour in acid and screw on the cap.
the acid eats the tin foil and the gasses inflate the bottle till it explodes. (I"m sure if you look, you'll find vid's on youtube)

heres what i suggest. (its nasty stuff, and the gases it's gonna make are even worse.)
if at all possible do it outside. If not make sure the kitchen is well ventalated.

I would use a q-tip so you can limit the amount of acid your using. just dab small amounts of acid on the tinfoil itself. i would also spot check on the reverse side of the panel to ensure the acid won't remove the non stick coating.
you'll see it working instantly (bubbling,turning the tinfoil black etc) work on a small area at a time, removing excess as soon as possible.
Now the thought of acid in your stove might scare you, but theres a really simple way to neutralize the acid when your finished.
either baking soda or laundry detergent will break it down and render it safe.
I use this and other acid's to etch my damascus knives and cuttlery.(many being used for food) once its neutralized, these no risk of injury to the stove or people eating out of it. residue can be rinse clean with soap and water.

muriatic acid can usually be found in the paint section of your hardware store for approx $3.
If the plan is to replace the bottom panel, what ya got to loose other than $3. :)

Just saw this post............you have the cleanest stove I've seen in a while. Next time you go to a resturant to eat, ask to see their stove, maybe you won't eat there anymore. :shock:
The 9" grinder sounds pretty easy and the acid test.......that's special with the gases and all. I think you may need a new stove :roll: or just put more foil in there and even it out. Hope this helps!

Graylock

Self cleaning feature?

You might try that, it gets super hot and should burn that foil right off.

I think most ovens have a porcelain finish on the inside, Ive used a butter knife with pretty good results, got the majority of the foil off without dorking up the finish.

Graylock said:
Just saw this post............you have the cleanest stove I've seen in a while...

about that ...if you saw me in person youd think i was starving :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks Graylock :wink:

Im laughing at it but someone else isn't :mrgreen:

this thread is pretty much pointless now, I've been told I'm not a carpenter, a plumber, a roofer and a handful of other things and appliance repair man just got added to the list at the time this occurred. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. I didn't do it

CCR said:
I've been told I'm not a carpenter, a plumber, a roofer and a handful of other things and appliance repair man just got added to the list at the time this occurred. :lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S. I didn't do it

The bad- you pay a little more money to get things fixed.

The good- you now have more time for bikes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Be sure to turn the gas off, those grinders throw a ton of sparks.

Latest posts

Back