unidentified flying pre-war.Please help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this bike last week.No headbadge.No paint under the rattle can paint job.Serial number under the cranks read M73265.The hub is Morrow.Although I dont believe that all the parts are original,Ive tried to base my opinions off of the frame,forks and placement of the headbadge holes.But my opinions are probably not as educated as some of yours.Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.thank you
DSC00327.jpg
DSC00333.jpg
DSC00343.jpg
DSC00346.jpg
DSC00342.jpg

I would have said an Elgin motorbike . I have several ,but the bottom tube is welded straight into the seat post on mine and on yours its into a fitting. Maybe rms37 will chime in on this one. I know lots of companies made the motorbike frame design.

Nice bike. Also welcome to the world of old bikes. There is an active group of Western Washington collectors and several annual events including swap meets, rides and an annual concours.

From what is present it looks like you have a 1934 Westfield built Moto-Balloon which would be one of the first bikes to use 26x2.125 double tube balloon tires. Westfield Manufacturing was the parent company that produced bicycles badged as Westfield, Columbia, along with many other branded bikes including many Sears Elgins.

The coffin pattern sprocket was commonly used on the Westfield badged bikes. The bikes branded Columbia were Westfield’s top of the line models and featured drop outs that were different than the ones on your bike.

It also looks that you have mismatched rims, the rear is a typical early stepped balloon rim and looks like it is in reasonably good condition. The front rim is something special. It is an early clad Balloon rim with a wood core. They are hard to find in any condition and valuable in good condition because they are difficult to re-plate with the wood core.

Your bike probably had matching clad rims originally and the rear is a later substitute. The Morrow hub will have a date code that may relate to the bike's age but may be newer if the rear wheel was replaced as a complete unit.

The bike would have originally had plain steel or stainless steel “rain gutter fenders” the fenders with the bike now are later generic replacements.

rms37 thank you very much for the input.Ive learned alot in the short time ive been researching pre war moto bikes,about a week or so.I can only imagine how long youve been researching.I appreciate you taking the time.Having the year should help me narrow down the headbadge.Its a little different because the headbadge holes are even and seperated by 1 6/8 in.

Good call Phil! I can only add that the list of Westfield serial #'s I have starts in 1936 with A5000. (They also started over with A5000 again in 1955) I have a similar moto, badged for Davega Sporting Goods "Reggie McNamara" model, named after the 20s bike racer. It's on balloon rims in this pic, but they don't fit. It would've had 28" rims.
collection3011.jpg
~Adam

can you help me? i have a davega reggie mcnamara with fat boy tires & fenders looking for front suspension bars, front ornament light, rear fender reflector. thank you ~

jimssteel said:
can you help me? i have a davega reggie mcnamara with fat boy tires & fenders looking for front suspension bars, front ornament light, rear fender reflector. thank you ~
You may have better luck over at the Cabe, aka the Classic & Antique Bicycle Exchange. Many of us are also over there, that site delas mainly with stock bikes. Also, post a pic of your bike, as later Reggie's were made by Monark. -Adam

Latest posts

Back