using a Shimano shifter on a Sturmey Archer hub??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good Day to all. I've scoured Mr Brown's website and here and cannot find the answer to what I think is a very simple question. background:

My Sturmey Archer 3 speed wheel came with this shifter (letter call outs explained below):

DSC03046a.jpg

I want to use this shifter:

DSC03042a.jpg

The white cable that came with the Shimano shifter is the exact right length. If I used the SA shifter I would have to shorten the cable so even if I used the SA shifter I would need my question answered. End "C" in both photos goes to the shifter. I would think that changing this end would be difficult if not in fact impossible. That leaves the "wheel" end of the cable.

I want to use item "A" from the Shimano shifter as it is the right size threads for the wheel. My question involves item "B" on the Shimano cable. This looks to be a crimped on piece. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks for any and all help.

They make a little adapter. You clip off the end of the cable and then add this piece. I think I have one somewhere, I'll look for it this afternoon.

Your pictures have been cut off. :( I'm not sure what your asking- does the wheel end of the Shimano cable not match up with the SA chain pull/ shift mechanism? I've never heard of changing the ball end of the cables if tthat's your problem... I don't think it can be done. However, I have made my own stick shifts and shifter cables... What does the wheel/hub shifting mechanism look like? Is it a chain pull? A Knuckle and pushrod? For the Knuckle and pushrod setups, I remove the extra knuckle linkage, cut the ball end of my shifter cable, slide a cable end (the little chrome piece that bikes have at the cable ends for caliper brake setups) over the cable, slide the cable through the hole drilled in the knuckle, slide the excess cable through the cable end, and crimp it REALLY well. I cover that connection (after pulling on it a bit as a test) with black electrical tape and it works fine. It doesn't look perfect, but looks fine on a rat rod. :D Sorry my description isn't that clear, I may have a pciture of what I did somewhere.

Crassly said:
They make a little adapter. You clip off the end of the cable and then add this piece. I think I have one somewhere, I'll look for it this afternoon.

Thanks. Perhaps I can get this at my LBS then also.

unchained, sorry, my photos are a bit large. I should change the size in photobucket, but I have a humongolarge monitor and everything shows up. :)

The adapter is called an anchorage.
ZHSL746.JPG

You may have problems with the pull of the different shifters. The Shimano index/clicks will not line up with the S/A probably. I did run a setup like this and it worked okay. you may have to wiggle to find the right gear.

I do know that when those shifters were sold new in the late 60s early 70s you could get two different internal plates that regulate the shift click distance. One for Shimano and one for the Sturmey. You would use the one that matched your hub. Like CMAN said it may be a problem for clean shifting when using the Shimano mechanism with the Sturmey hub. The cable and adapter will hook up fine.

"Sun Tour" used to make really nice long levered 3 spd shifters for Sturmeys too :) .

Dorian

^^^ I understand about the wiggling now. Thank you. hmmm ... I might have to go in another direction. I do not want to have to wiggle the shifter. Anyone wanna trade me a long handle shifter for this one?

Back