USING BMX PARTS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just curious if the parts from newer BMX bikes will work on older cruiser frames.

There are always a ton of cheap BMX bikes around and it would be nice to be able to use the cranks, BB, headsets, stems, seat posts, seat clamps, etc on the cruisers.

but of course. i use most often since i have alot of bmx stuff layin around. on my black western flyer i have a 1in. threadless geforce headset w/ a bmx stem. an a odyssey rx- clamp.

Rat Rod said:
Are the cranks usually shorter on BMX bikes since they are only 20" wheeled?

on the cheaper models theyre shorter. Great for 26" bikes if ya wanna run a small front sprocket :D :D

R.R., I use bmx parts often. Sometimes the seat posts won't fit, some of the goose necks are a little large for the original fork nut, and you gotta pick and choose on the cranks. But you got a big hammer .... RIGHT! :lol: We buy alot of front sprockets that are intended for bmx bikes, there are some wild designs!
Nogoodnic and I recently learned that the old school Redlines have their own size cranks and hardware, so keep all the "hold it on" parts if you change things.

Back