V brake mounting.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled on a trick the other day... I was building up a Bianchi Milano frame from scratch and because it originally had a roller brake it wasn't designed for anything else. I fiddled around with trying to put some old school center pulls on but couldn't get any with enough reach. When I was painting my wheels I noticed that my wheel painting jig had a solution.
IMGP40942.jpg

I cut the cross member and brake mounts off of the lower fork arms and cleaned them up. They already had the hole for the fender. Mounted up with some V brakes (could also use canti) they fit the 26" rim great. Just had to bolt through the other fender mount and put a spacer between.
IMGP4115.jpg

Time to build a clunker with upgraded brakes!
IMGP4117.jpg

I know it's not rat but it's my mother in laws around town bike now!
IMGP4120.jpg

Pretty cool. You may need to fasten the ends of the horseshoe to the seat stays so it doesn't wiggle. Their are comercial adapter plates but good job on using something that you have.

cman said:
Pretty cool. You may need to fasten the ends of the horseshoe to the seat stays so it doesn't wiggle. Their are comercial adapter plates but good job on using something that you have.

You would have to worry about that with a side pull... With the V brakes the bracket will automatically center itself. I'd be more worried about using this application on the front fork. With it mounted forward of it's mount (relative to rim direction) it would have a tendency to lift off the fork.

Hey PV,Thanks for posting this at the Right Time for me!

Im building a FIXIE 20" Trials bike and I'd like to use a 24" or a 26" fork with the 20" wheel to gain pedal clearance.(front brake only)

I got some of those horseshoes on some old rusty junky suspention forks laying around here...and a Buddy with a welder!

Wheres my hacksaw? I gotta get to cuttin'.

Latest posts

Back