Varsity Shredder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started messing around with this Varsity tonight. And I just thought, why not enter it in the off road build off?

So here we are. Bought this varsity because I wanted the chainring for the ladybug.

The forks are sunlite and need to be cut. Picture of how I measured. Will cut tomorrow.

I have a few mountain bike wheels pretty much ready to go.

Going to just figure it out as I go.

C6A2290A-1661-4073-B885-EF5CFD39F47C.jpeg
A377BDF5-EBF6-43F3-A788-5A892D0A9260.jpeg
0ED1A7B7-8708-4358-BD11-051825FB7E1D.jpeg
69C1CAD2-5508-42E6-95ED-D635825DBFFC.jpeg

List:
  • Dropouts need to be respaced if I’m using these wheels
  • Rear tire clearance is too tight. 26x 1.95 and it clears by only a mm
  • I stole the chainring for ladybug
  • Could I avoid cutting steerer tube by using a 62mm long 1in headset spacer??

My current plan is to use a single speed freewheel and some 1080 caliper brakes.

Long term, I will likely build a new set of wheels with the original hubs and original 5sp freewheel and make a 1x5. That may or may not happen in time for the build off.

Is it OK to use 60mm of headset spacers with a 1 inch threaded headset? This way I could avoid cutting the forks, and I think it would look decent in this build. I’m guessing this would be OK as long as I use an aluminum or steel spacer.
C29F7B08-C535-4ABB-A30C-308970F62453.jpeg
5EC4553E-AC0A-4EB8-B5DC-E213E1CE75C3.jpeg

My current plan is to use a single speed freewheel and some 1080 caliper brakes.

Long term, I will likely build a new set of wheels with the original hubs and original 5sp freewheel and make a 1x5. That may or may not happen in time for the build off.

Is it OK to use 60mm of headset spacers with a 1 inch threaded headset? This way I could avoid cutting the forks, and I think it would look decent in this build. I’m guessing this would be OK as long as I use an aluminum or steel spacer.
View attachment 217872View attachment 217871
From a strength standpoint it should be fine. From an aesthetic standpoint my opinion would be far better to cut it down

I have a couple forks I cut for smaller frames that now can't be used on anything else, so the spacer(s) will do.
If only 20mm it would hardly be noticed. The cap nut takes all the strain, the washer and cap just keep the nut from loosening.

Cool quick build, I dig it! I'm looking for a Varsity to build a klunker with. Found one local but the frame was way too big for me. It would be cool to check this bike out with the 1x5 setup as well. Nice!

Fantastic job, that Varsity looks ready to rip! Schwinn green is just gorgeous. Do you happen to have a parts list? Those are nice looking rims, looks like a bear claw logo...

FrameSchwinn Varsity
ForksSunlite Cruiser (365cycles.com)
Stem Handlebars GripsUnknown. Someone gave these to me. The original Varsity stem was much nicer. Grips stamped "Hunt Wilde Corporation"
ChainWheel3/32 from Huskybicycles.com. The original chainring is going on the ladybug. I wanted the ability to use a 3/32 chain so I can make this a 1x5
Wheels and TiresFrom my pile of used parts. Will eventually build a new set of wheels using the varsity hubs. Rear wheel currently is QR which I don't like on a single speed.
Front Rim = Bontrager Corvair
Rear RIM = Matrix 550
Front Tire = 26 x 2.1 Continental Explorer
Rear Tire = 26 x 1.75 Innova
Brakes1080 long reach cantilever (porkchopbmx.com)
SaddleMesinger (original to Varsity)
pedalsoriginal to varsity. Removed reflector and quick polish
ChainKMC z8.1 I attempted to salvage the original chain. Spent about an hour between ultrasonic cleaner and mineral spirits soaks. It cleaned up real nice only to find out it was 2:30am and I didn't have a master link that fit!!!! If I wasn't having so much fun, you might think that was a waste of time!

IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_5269.JPG
IMG_5270.JPG
IMG_5274.JPG

Latest posts

Back