VERY IMPORTANT MUST READ THIS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is a bit of a read but it is very important my friend was taken for $12,000

Just to let you all know of a scam that is going around and they just tried it on me with the bike I'm selling on Craigs list!

it goes like this

Cheque Overpayment Fraud
Fraudulent cheques are used in a variety of scams such as advance fee letter fraud, overpayment and prize pitch to name a few.

Overpayment scams is the type of fraud where the person receiving the cheque is actually owed money for goods sold. The seller receives a counterfeit cashier's cheque personal cheque or corporate cheque from the “purchaser” in an amount in excess of the amount owed; is asked to deposit the cheque and wire the excess funds immediately back to the sender/purchaser or the purchaser's agent or shipper; and, the deposited cashier's cheque is subsequently returned as counterfeit and charged back to the seller's account.

Anyone selling goods should be suspicious of any cheque, especially if it is for more than the agreed selling price. Consider an alternative method of payment, such as an escrow service or online payment service. Talk to your bank about the safest way to receive funds from overseas.

To protect yourself against this sort of scam, never agree to a deal in which the payer wishes to issue an amount for more than the agreed price and expects you to reimburse the balance. The scammers use a variety of excuses to explain the overpayment, but any such excuse should be treated with the utmost suspicion

this is the Email I just got today on my bike

Thanks for your mail,the price is very reasonable and i love the bike quite well,I would have loved to come and pay you cash and pick the bike up from you but i will be traveling to UK tonight for my daughters wedding preparation ,I just spoke with my shipper some minute ago and i found out that he is currently in South Africa, so since he is out of town,i will send you a certified money order of $1000, as soon as you receive it,exchange it for cash at your bank and take the money for your bike out and have the rest of the money send via MONEY GRAM money transfer to my shippers who is currently in South Africa and as soon as the payment gets to him, he will call his affiliate to pick the bike up from you and have it shipped with some other house appliances and wedding items to South Africa for me.
Please get back at me with your full name and address so i can send the payment with instructions before i leave tonight.
Thanks.

That's why they have all those warnings on Craigslist, that site is stupid with that crap.

It only works if your "nice" or "helpful" Just remember in this case it's strictly biz! They can't get it right, too bad, next please! And thats how its done. Remember in a business transaction its all black and white, any deviation and the deals off! If your "nice" no good deed will go un-punished! Sad but true, keep your game face on at all times. Later & PEACE!!!

i live in a small town and my mom works at the bank here, theyve been overloaded with these fake checks, just sad theres soooo many of em goin round.

dads got to Ukranian lottery winning checks lol Fake i hope, One for 900,000 dollars, and one for 65000 dollars.

hope they get hit by lighting

I called my bank about this, they said after they cash the check and find it fraud they WILL COME AFTER YOU!! , not the scam artist, thats up to the FBI :cry: Unfortunatly there is unknowing souls out there that will "do some one a favor" :shock: :shock: :|

I agree with slick rick 100% and that's the way I work. Any deviation with the pre-annouced or agreed terms and the deal is off. I've been proposed payment by cheque with some of my bikes on craigslist as well. No dice. I only accept paypal when selling on the bay now. Makes things simpler and everybody is protected.

That email Firewalker posted just sounds bogus to me. Too many different countries for me. :? Scam artists! :x

Back