Vintage Japanese motorcycles....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
....And by vintage I mean 60's & 70's......;)

British and other bikes too.

Who's into them? Post some pics please. I'm driving a couple hours south in the morning to get an almost identical pair of project bikes; 1 '74 & 1 '76 Suzuki GT550's (2-stroke 3-cylinder "triple" for those that don't know) for my 17 y/o son and I. I just picked up a set of modern sportbike wheels that I think he wants to lay claim to already. Ever since I heard someone's "triple" run w/ a nice set of pipes on it I was hooked! I loved the cackle and the sound of angry chainsaw on crack!! :D

Here's what I'm getting.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I know they don't look like much now, but neither do some of my bikes when I get them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.2 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.2 KB
Who's into them? Post some pics please. I'm driving a couple hours south in the morning to get an almost identical pair of project bikes; 1 '74 & 1 '76 Suzuki GT550's (2-stroke 3-cylinder "triple" for those that don't know) for my 17 y/o son and I. I just picked up a set of modern sportbike wheels that I think he wants to lay claim to already. Ever since I heard someone's "triple" run w/ a nice set of pipes on it I was hooked! I loved the cackle and the sound of angry chainsaw on crack!! :D

I love old motorcycles, but I consider the 70s and early 80s to be the "golden age", at least as far as the Japanese bikes go. My first bike was a '74 (might've been a 73?) Honda CB125S thumper. I loved that little thing. SYM, a Taiwanese firm that built the CB125 and CG125 under-contract for Honda during the final decades of that model, is still producing/selling the SYM Wolf Classic 150, which is essentially an overbored clone of the CB125s, complete with kickstarter and fork gators....I might end up buying one.

My wife's uncle used to rock a Suzuki GT550 "water buffalo", so named b/c it was among the first water-cooled Japanese motorbikes. You're right; it's tough to beat the sound of those things. His sounded pissed off, all the time.

Got them home.

The one will end up as a parts bike so only one will be restored. We ended up picking up a third while we were picking up the Suzukis.

Picked up a nice 'lil Kawasaki KDX80 for a nice deal for all 3 of us boys. My cousin brought over his 4 wheeler and we all had fun.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Somewhere I have a photo from about 15 years ago of 13 Honda Dreams parked in my driveway. I picked them from various places for a buyer in the Twin Cities.
Definitely would like to see that!

Been stripping both bikes today.

The '74 is down to a bare rolling frame:
image.jpg

We've already learned some differences in the two production years and see some minor alterations/mods done by a previous owner. Thankfully it's nothing structural at this point.

The '76 had a lot removed from it. What can be salvaged and used will be.
image.jpg

We've already come up with a design plan and have a goal of it being done in a year so he can ride it to his high school graduation.

My oldest and I have never sat down this long and/or this intently on any project before.....EVER. I'm enjoying every moment if it even tho my aching back is telling me otherwise!!

Latest posts

Back