Vintage JC Higgins Tourist- Looking for Info and Opinions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last fall I found this bike on craigslist. An older gentlemen was looking to clean out his garage I am assuming. Paid $50 for it, it isn't the cleanest but I find it kinda cute.In all honesty, I bought this bike in order to shut my boyfriend up. He has wanted us to have a hobby together (scooters was his original idea) for a long time now.

I didn't know anything about this bike when I bought it, I just thought the sprocket was really cool and unique. It has sat in storage over the winter and now I am deciding that it would be quite fun to fix it up and use to get around town as well as eventually commute to work.

Needs a new rear brake cable, a new stitched up seat (leather is falling apart) and i'd really like to shine it up/ strip it and powder coat. I'd also LOVE to get the light working! I didn't realize it had it til I brought it home!

I would like to know a little bit about the bike though.... Also, if I were to strip it down and redo it, should I feel guilty? Or is it "common vintage junk" essentially?

What I do know about it: J.C. Higgins. Made in Austria (I believe sold at Sears). Called the Tourist. Nice dark blue color with j.c. higgins decals. Also has a (non original, im guessing) character on the front. Has an original generator light, and the wheel guard has a little notch for it to butt up next to. The guy said it has the original wheels (tire says Carlisle super ride)

My opinion? Clean it up, keep it as orig as you can and ride the heck out of it! J.C. Higgins is a nice collector bike and from what I can see in the pics its pretty much complete! If I had it it would be a keeper. You can clean up the rust by soaking all the bits and pieces in common white vinegar over night, use a cotton wash cloth and "Dawn" dishwashing liquid to wipe the rust right off, also for best results use the strongest (food use) white vinegar you can find. You can use a cleaner called "Totally Awesome" its sold in Dollar General type stores, just spay it on, wait a few minutes and hose it off, then use Dawn to wash the whole bikes down, itll come out pretty darn clean! Don't forget to repack all the bearing, just google it and you should find instructions on how to do it. Or just ask your BF. :wink: Good luck with it and post pics when shes all done up. :D

Beautiful bike. and agree with the above - it's a survivor, keep it and clean it all up, you'll be surprised.

Love the little 'character' sticker on the front, and a unique vintage touch .

Never saw the original generator light with fender to match, that's neat.

Yours looks like it's in real good shape. bright decals and headbadge, guard decal is good. congrats.

Latest posts

Back