Volo in Legno (Wooden Flight)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I realize my participation in these events is a little bit of a joke now since I never Seem to make it past the design and material purchase phase and into the actual construction. But i've got another design that i'm very passionate about. I've spent a ton of time tinkering with it and it's actually a continuation of my unfinished attempt "Volo". I made a few mistakes and I kind of built myself into a corner with that one and sadly I never resumed any progress after the build off ended. With this one, I'm taking that theme and trying to simplify it as much as possible while still maintaining a striking appearance. I have no ambitions of actually getting it done during this time frame but i'm going to hopefully get it started. If I could get it ridable that would be awesome.
20230311_222611.jpg
20190908_161836.jpg

I didn't finish my first build off either(2015 / BOTEN). But, I kept at it the years I was able.

And DUDE! You're working with bent wood! Great start. Keep it coming, and if you don't finish before the deadline... keep it coming and make a regular build thread and finish it. Your plans and your progress so far are awesome.

I didn't finish my first build off either(2015 / BOTEN). But, I kept at it the years I was able.

And DUDE! You're working with bent wood! Great start. Keep it coming, and if you don't finish before the deadline... keep it coming and make a regular build thread and finish it. Your plans and your progress so far are awesome.
Thanks, The wooden parts in the second photo were as far as I got with the 2019 build off. This new project is only on paper at the moment.

Gorgeous design. Like others have said, even if you don't finish in time, I would still like to see the end result

Wow beautiful lines there! And the craftmanship :thumbsup:
Did you steam bend the curves?
And what size (thickness) wood did you use?
And it seems like some sort of pine wood.
Very interested, looking forward to your progress
Thanks all that curved wood is from the previous build off 14 bike that has been gathering dust since 2019. It was Ash and Wenge. I may go back to it someday but there were some technical challenges and design flaws that need to be addressed. I kind of dove Into it before I had it all figured out, as I typically do. This was the thread for that bike. https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/volo.108918/

Thanks man, it's great to see you back in the game too, Now if we could just get Ford snake and Blackout involved it would be quite a battle royale this year.
Glad you have entered. Thumbs up you finish all bended and rolling. Great concept.
Yes where is Ford snake and Blackout? It certainly has been awhile...
Would love to have them enter also.

I was hoping maybe my design was similar enough that I could reuse the molds for the fork but no such luck. I can't believe how much less tight the curves are on my new design. But that was the goal, it makes it so much easier to laminate. Oh well, making new molds is not that big a deal. I'm trying not to get lost in the design process again but I had some epiphany's last night that i'm Pretty excited about. One of The biggest challenges that i'm facing is that I need to learn how to weld aluminum. Last time I hired it done at great expense. I have a tig machine but I just don't seem to have the knack. It's very frustrating.
20230510_185437.jpg
20230510_190624.jpg

Here's my inspirational quotes that I need to get me going. View attachment 231540View attachment 231541

Charles Eisenstein calls this process "pleasing the gods". :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. Gives me motivation to pick up my wooden bike build again (I stopped at a huge sanding job with only an hour ot maybe two of free time in the evening).

There is a lot of work and planning in this contraption. Making the bending jigs etcetera.
Can't wait for more updates!

Charles Eisenstein calls this process "pleasing the gods". :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. Gives me motivation to pick up my wooden bike build again (I stopped at a huge sanding job with only an hour ot maybe two of free time in the evening).

There is a lot of work and planning in this contraption. Making the bending jigs etcetera.
Can't wait for more updates!
Thanks, do you have a link to your bike? I'm excited to be back in the build off. I worked on it all day today. It doesn't look like much but it's coming along. I was hoping to have all the bending forms made but at least I have my templates figured out and the layers cut out. I'm going to be building this bike as a right and left half so the forms won't have to be as wide. It should make it much easier to bend and it should make the shaping process a lot easier too. My goal is to make this as easy as possible. I keep reminding myself that this is just a work in progress. I got a little bit lost again in the design proceas agonizing over getting the curves perfect. That's what all that tape is on the drawing it was easier than erasing it.
20230513_123453.jpg
20230514_152738.jpg
20230514_182757.jpg

I need to learn how to weld aluminum. Last time I hired it done at great expense. I have a tig machine but I just don't seem to have the knack. It's very frustrating.
Is your TIG capable of variable high freq A/C welding? Almost impossible with a normal D/C tig...
You will also need a different Tungsten electrode, usually a pure tungsten or zirconiated tungsten, and usually at a larger size than with steel as it needs to dissipate more heat.

Is your TIG capable of variable high freq A/C welding? Almost impossible with a normal D/C tig...
You will also need a different Tungsten electrode, usually a pure tungsten or zirconiated tungsten, and usually at a larger size than with steel as it needs to dissipate more heat.
Thanks, yes I have a lincoln square wave 200. I can set it for AC and I did just learn about the tungsten thing. I haven't tried it yet since I bought some new ones although the ones I was using were supposedly ok for it. I'm not even very good at using the tig machine with steel so aluminum is even more challenging.

I only had a little time tonight to practice my aluminum welding. Check out that stack of dimes! #it's_hopeless.View attachment 232649View attachment 232650

At least respect for doing it! When learning something new you gotta start somewhere.

Since I saw you build name, I was thinking about rivetting, but not trying to interfere with the creative process here ;) :
industry-3348618_1920-300x199.jpg

Thanks man, it's great to see you back in the game too, Now if we could just get Ford snake and Blackout involved it would be quite a battle royale this year.

Glad you have entered. Thumbs up you finish all bended and rolling. Great concept.
Yes where is Ford snake and Blackout? It certainly has been awhile...
Would love to have them enter also.

That would be awesome. but Carlton (@fordsnake) is living a happy life in Brazil and I think @Blackout has sold a bunch of his bike stuff. I really miss their work along with many others from the past.

Great to have you back in the saddle again.. The artistic creativity of your builds are always off the charts. I hope you are able to keep rolling on this one to completion. Some people say we need more cowbell, but I think we need more bikewhorder! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back