Volo in Legno (Wooden Flight)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to have you back in the saddle again.. The artistic creativity of your builds are always off the charts. I hope you are able to keep rolling on this one to completion. Some people say we need more cowbell, but I think we need more bikewhorder! :D :D :D
Let's say I got the cowbell part covered 🤣
IMG_20230516_200651234.jpg
IMG_20230516_200718686.jpg

So I was hoping to make some progress this week but no such luck. These build off's always coincide with the busiest part of my work year. Everybody wants their boat for the fourth of july and it's always a mad dash to get it done. My work always has to take a backseat to the rich people's boats. I got the toe rail on at least.
20230518_172514.jpg

A friend sent me a link to this guy's sculptural work and I have to say my mind is blown. I thought I was aiming high! There's always somebody that takes it to some level that's not even from this planet.

So I bought these boards locally about a year ago so that I could redo my original wooden bike. It looks like I'll have enough to make this whole other bike out of it. It's always nice to get it out of one tree. It's a pretty big step, it's a bit stressful because once you cut it It's hard to put it back together.
20230521_121920.jpg
20230512_193403.jpg
20230521_143222.jpg

Last edited:
I made a little crumb of progress this week. I managed to get one board sliced up into layers. I actually have just enough wood to make this work so I need to be incredibly efficient and a little bit lucky. Because i'm book matching the pieces I need to get six layers out of each board. It's pretty tricky to get six quarter inch layers out of a board that's two inches thick. I tested them on my forms and discovered that I will still need to steam them even though i've reduced the radiuss from the previous attempt considerably. I was hoping I could just bend them without steaming but that's not going to be possible.
20230523_204929.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back