Voting Booths are re-OPEN!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great summary by @Captain Awesome.

The bottom bottom line is this. The 'owners' don't particularly care about this site and that ISN'T a bad thing. We can have a large say so in how this site is ran. If someone thinks they can make a difference, go for it. If you have good ideas, understand the 'RRB culture' (what makes being here better than a bmxmuseum or thecabe, for example), let the staff know, volunteer, etc...and you may very well end up as staff eventually. There will be turnover, and probably a lot of it, until things find their balance...or this becomes a dusty ghost town.

Don't gripe...get involved!

I'll throw in my 2 bob's worth here whilst the topic is hot🔥
Grateful for the site, and the people herein.

I think it would be great if the official results could include the top 3 in voting. Rather than just first places. The seconds and thirds are always outstanding builds too.

Also, the unofficial results, in order of finish are always nice to see. Think it goes a long way to supporting the entrants.

I honestly didn't need an excuse to build anything. :) But did enjoy seeing all the creativity here. I enjoy the fact that I'm not on Facebook. Its good to see forums like this still exist regardless of the numbers, and contest results. I get the frustrations from the admins side, time is hard to find sometimes. Regardless, everyone did something with their time that produced something that came from inside their head, creativity is never wasted time.

I'm with dropstep, that's the only reason I've ever joined a build off. Motivation to finish in a timely manor.

WOW!!! What is with all of the griping, complaining, fussing, and cussing too?? Gonna throw my opinions out there too.

Looking back at a few previous winter build offs, I don't see any official or unofficial listings of where people placed. I think that is because the winter BOs have typically always been smaller affairs and it is pretty easy to see the relative rankings if you just glance over the voting results. No owner, admin, mod, builder, or fellow RRBer owes anyone else the courtesy of doing the ciphering for them so they can see where they placed. I've done this over the years in a very unofficial manner for the Rat Rod Bikes Build Off since about BO7, I think. It could easily be done by any other RRBer for any of the build offs. I am not and never have been an adminstator nor a moderator.

RRB has always been a forum for us to build cool bikes and have fun. Period! We've always tried to keep the drama, fussing, and cussing to a minimum here and it's worked out pretty well. There is no need for it here. There are plenty of places on the web and social media to rant, rave, get triggerred, or be keyboard warriors. Let's try and keep our tradition and vibe of just having fun building cool bikes.

I'm with @Palepainter and @kingfish254 and am here to build bikes, ride them, and share in the experience. It's really that simple.

Strong Work by all who participated, from the Admins, all of the way to those who chose to vote as their only way of participating. All of you in-betweeners who built bikes, props to you.

Just to be clear the "final rankings" threads are not anything official or a part of the buildoffs. Just always something nice that cool guys like @kingfish254 would throw together

For the record the snafu with the voting threads being posted correctly and subsequently removed is nothing to do with experience level in this scenario but more to do with permission levels. I have about a decade of admin experience and can shred some xenforo systems. However Rusty and I are not administrators in this world and have limited magical powers. We can't create subforum levels and move entire categories. When stuff gets muffed up there are limited options for us and in this case it was easiest to delete and start over. We don't have 24/7 admin access. Not in the cards with the new owners. Truthfully never was even with Steve at the helm. He just had the flexibility to flush things out almost transparently

Doesn't matter......... turning in my tin star anyhow. Long live the new kings @OddJob and @The Renaissance Man
I did ask numerous times for official results. No one replied to me. I know you saw.

WOW!!! What is with all of the griping, complaining, fussing, and cussing too?? Gonna throw my opinions out there too.

Looking back at a few previous winter build offs, I don't see any official or unofficial listings of where people placed. I think that is because the winter BOs have typically always been smaller affairs and it is pretty easy to see the relative rankings if you just glance over the voting results. No owner, admin, mod, builder, or fellow RRBer owes anyone else the courtesy of doing the ciphering for them so they can see where they placed. I've done this over the years in a very unofficial manner for the Rat Rod Bikes Build Off since about BO7, I think. It could easily be done by any other RRBer for any of the build offs. I am not and never have been an adminstator nor a moderator.

RRB has always been a forum for us to build cool bikes and have fun. Period! We've always tried to keep the drama, fussing, and cussing to a minimum here and it's worked out pretty well. There is no need for it here. There are plenty of places on the web and social media to rant, rave, get triggerred, or be keyboard warriors. Let's try and keep our tradition and vibe of just having fun building cool bikes.
You honesty do not believe I had every right to call out the site owner for putting @RustyGold and other staff under pressure during an important event?
Also, giving voters the opportunity to change their votes undermines this competition. It can result in a 'what's the point' attitude and worse. The opposite of what's necessary to get more people involved in such events. Why didn't you respond to me when I was asking for results? I asked for days. Sometimes I have to use colorful metaphors to get a point across when being ignored. At least the person in charge of last years winter bo created a top 5.

I entered to inspire others to do the best they can while challenging myself. I thought the site would be decent enough to give everyone more recognition for their efforts at the end. I was about to but wasn't sure I had the right... why I was asking for results in the first place.
I wanted to show family and friends how I did building away for and during the event. When asked how I did... I replied not sure.

@kingfish254, shame on you for not recognizing the importance and struggles some of us go through to produce and present works of art in a dedicated timed build off competition. Where's the competitiveness if most of you are content with just making stuff? I could have kept it to myself in the Build section.

I do not acknowledge my placement in the MBBO because the votes may have been altered.
Let it be said, I have no quarrel with any RRB members. The site owner needs to do much better.

Again @RustyGold, it's not your fault. I would have watched over you to make sure things were going smoothy had you been on my team.
I let first mishap slide... I couldn't let another go.

I'd give everyone a prize If this was my site if staff I trained made a mistake potentially altering the results.

if staff I trained made a mistake potentially altering the results.
Your assumption is that there is training, which there is not

Also as stated before there was no "mistake". Something happened that did not allow the poll to be posted correctly even though it was properly configured on the front end. Whether that was software related or not I cannot anwer. We had mods do not have the same level of access that admins do. The only option was to delete it and start over because once it's posted/voted against it can't be "altered"

If you want to be mad, fine. Be mad at the ownership and admins for not providing (unreasonable) tactical response 24/7 to a platform (forums in general) that are falling out of favor in the social media age and have become ad revenue sources. Wishing for the olden days aren't going to bring them back

The site owner needs to do much better
Well it's a company not an individual, so 🤷‍♂️

And for the record and at the risk of sharing some privy information, Rusty offered to buy this site lock stock and barrel. I kinda doubt he's not looking out for the best interest of the community

Peace out

Latest posts

Back