W I D E & Loaded - OUT, unfortunately ☹️

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s some pictures of stuff to gander at:

9B9C6CBE-5F56-441F-83F3-B39079CDC0FC.jpeg

2DBDA595-FB80-48B9-BCC0-D8480BEB1D93.jpeg

B14C546C-0CBE-447C-B9A9-08C30A317290.jpeg

Not sure how much of this stuff will even work together yet, but here’s my parts pile. I kinda gathered this stuff assuming the build off was going to go to September again, so hopefully this won’t be a big DNF. I’m gonna build it anyway, so no big deal.

Tim the Toolman Taylor would be proud. Super cool mix of parts!

giphy.gif

Rolling tool box or on call repair service...
1682996664751.png

We come to you roadside service...
1682997051835.png

I actually do have a spare single-sided swingarm sitting around, but this build seems to already be heading to a half a ton already so that might be a little over the top without an actual motor. My plan right now is to try and use a trike REAR end in conjunction with the dual wheel front, so 4 wheels total, but the rear wheels will be spaced much closer together than the front and it will retain its reverse trike “feel”.

So, first step I guess is set up a work surface to get these tool boxes out of my way so I can work on the bike:

8A5C6238-16AD-40B1-A301-78447C578B86.jpeg

Had a little extra spare time so I started messing with the wheels a bit:

92DBDE84-8D72-4492-8503-2CB2EBF91D54.jpeg
511924AD-DAC3-4C55-B33B-01F0F0F6617B.jpeg

I never had the wheels off before, so I got a chance to see how they are mounted and it doesn’t look like I’ll have to do any major surgery or machining to get the new ones to work. Haven’t got it 100% figured out yet, but it looks close already. I don’t know about you guys, but on some of these builds where I start with a higher dollar bike I tend to not want to make major changes that can’t be undone, in case I ever want to put things back to the way they were. Nobody is going to notice a few extra holes in the deck, but I really don’t want to start cutting into axles or other major parts. I’d rather just be able to bolt things on. Same with the toolboxes. I think this is going to be pretty cool, but I might still want to just use them as toolboxes at a later date, so I’m trying to do things judiciously rather than just start hacking up parts (which would be a lot easier).

I love that on a Worksman, the steering has a tilt component. You can ride these guys no hands, and steer with your butt by leaning left and right. I've always wondered how the quad kit would affect that system

builds where I start with a higher dollar bike I tend to not want to make major changes that can’t be undone, in case I ever want to put things back to the way they were
I hear you on that. Just makes sense. That's why I always start out with the worst kind of junk to build a hot rod too.

So I got to mess around with the two wheel rear conversion kit a little tonight and it got kinda stupid real quick. One of the mounting bolts was in a wrong hole and trapped by the brake assembly. The brake assembly is put together in a weird way using parts you wouldn’t expect. It makes more sense now that it is apart, so it should go back together easier. This whole thing was new but came with no instructions so I’m kinda just winging it. I think it’ll work ok. I may end up wrapping some metal hose clamps around the front part just to give it a little extra strength.

DF13C1F7-CC79-4073-9D71-EE0DFC9A8E4D.jpeg
1DBB7788-529A-47CE-8D65-FDC6760044F4.jpeg

FB033B8F-826F-4C85-BDB1-79CD74E49C1B.jpeg

So I got to mess around with the two wheel rear conversion kit a little tonight and it got kinda stupid real quick. One of the mounting bolts was in a wrong hole and trapped by the brake assembly. The brake assembly is put together in a weird way using parts you wouldn’t expect. It makes more sense now that it is apart, so it should go back together easier. This whole thing was new but came with no instructions so I’m kinda just winging it. I think it’ll work ok. I may end up wrapping some metal hose clamps around the front part just to give it a little extra strength.

View attachment 230964View attachment 230965

View attachment 230963
This looks like it's meant for horizontal dropouts...I would try to put two bolts into the square holes and slide it into the dropout even if it might lift the rear abit.t

Wheel #2 arrived today (well technically wheel #3, 2nd front wheel). Came with a tire, so that’s one less thing I have to look for. Wouldn’t want to use it on a sport bike, but I think it’ll be ok on a bike that doesn’t get over 2 miles per hour. 😂

I think I may have found bearings that will actually make all this work, too. We’ll see when they get here...

67425914-0E93-43D3-8D8D-9F167250214F.jpeg

Wheel #2 arrived today (well technically wheel #3, 2nd front wheel). Came with a tire, so that’s one less thing I have to look for. Wouldn’t want to use it on a sport bike, but I think it’ll be ok on a bike that doesn’t get over 2 miles per hour. 😂

I think I may have found bearings that will actually make all this work, too. We’ll see when they get here...

View attachment 231474
More Honda goodness!!

Latest posts

Back