weird dented rim issue...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the wheel I had on the back of my first SpaceLiner since last fall. A kinda cheap cruiser wheel, but worked fine with a normal 1.75 tire. A little while ago I picked up a pair of these cool grey-wall 80psi cyclo-cross tires from yeshoney, and put on on this wheel on my stealth bomber. The rim didn't have any dents in it when I put the tire on, I would have noticed. But after just two rides with this tire on the bike, I parked it in my living room, went to bed, and woke up the next day to find that the tire had gone flat and the bike had tipped over. When I flipped it over, I found two pretty serious dents where they were bent out from the center.

So, how did this happen, was it the high psi tires on the cheap rim?
And, how do I fix it? Can I just pound those dents back into place without ruining the rim more?

2734345343_23809eb191.jpg

I'd try an auto body hammer and dolly. I'd put a number of layers of masking tape on the rim, to avoid any scratches. I'd start with half the dolly behind the part of the rim with no damage, the other half of the dolly behind the damaged area. This way you have a reference point on how far to hammer the rim back. Good luck!........I'd go back to the lower pressure tire, cushions the "bumps" more.

Back