welding??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am thinking of trying some welding on a bike frame idea i have but i dont know what others have used to do this i was thinking about torch welding some items but i dont have a torch i have a harbor freight special, its a 90 amp flux core wire welder and i have tried to play with it some, i have a hard time not burning through somehwere along the way around the pipe, I have played with a torch and i feel like i could a better job welding with a torch but i guess i dont kow it it would be as strong...... i guess i dont know where i stand but i wanted to be adventurous and try this frame idea but ireally dont know much about welding and what process i should use to get the best results. any help or ideas.

thanks

All high schools here offer a welding course a couple nights a week. Minimal cost
and you can learn on their machines without buying anything. Here its called continuing education.

There are a lot of threads about what welder to get etc. I really think anything will work if you can get the skills. Like Uncle stretch said look into Continuing Education or Adult Ed it's called here. They have welding classes. Maybe also an arts center if you live in a big enough city.

If you can get some tube just practice practice practice, it will come. I think a flux core mig is fine. I am using a stick welder and have finally started to get it dialed in, it's pretty cool.

Here's a thread about my adventures in welding, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60178&start=0#p580939 You can see the progress in my welds, I just kept doing practice work until it got better.

Get some conduit to practice on, but grind off the galvanizing coating because it is wicked toxic. I was told to make my joints really close, so there are no gaps, I think that will help with the burn through.

Good luck and burn some wire!!

welding is pretty easy I started when i was 15. I'm not going to lie it was hard at first. But my friend Mr. Dunson is a good mentor

A flux core mig is fine. My main advice is to get one with adjustable heat. Mine only has high and low settings. It doesn't make anything impossible but it does make somethings more difficult. Flux core can produce messy welds depending on your skill level and materials used, so invest in a grinder and a flap sanding wheel to go with it.

Latest posts

Back