Went from bad to worst

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While trying to extract a broken bolt out of a spring for a X53 fork I really messed stuff up. I had no success at extracting the bolt so now ill probably have to redrill and retap the spring at my dads machine shop when I get a chance. I'm really hating myself right about now. :cry:

A89BB438-BF59-4472-AC6F-3AB907AE14C7-1148-00000155C373F3F7.jpg

3B08AED5-0C18-441D-92AE-FAD9249CA26D-1148-00000155B71BF451.jpg

No need to hate yourself...but I hate you. :p Because your dad has a machine shop!! 8) I'm a retired machinist and really miss having access to every kind of machine tool imaginable. Be happy you can fix the spring for free using your own two hands and the best tools. :wink: Gary

I think that anybody that has tried to take one of those springers apart
has broken that same bolt. Then you see that part it bolts too is screwed
into the spring. It doesn't come out easy either. I can't remember what my fix
was but I had those inside things laying around for a long time before I threw them
away. Its a terrible design to try to rebuild.

Uncle Stretch said:
I think that anybody that has tried to take one of those springers apart
has broken that same bolt. Then you see that part it bolts too is screwed
into the spring. It doesn't come out easy either. I can't remember what my fix
was but I had those inside things laying around for a long time before I threw them
away. Its a terrible design to try to rebuild.
What is up with that? HORRIBLE design, but I just love the look so not giving up on the fork just yet. While trying to unscrew the inner piece out I screwed it in to try to loosen it up and now it's been pushed further in and it doesn't want to do the same to unscrew out. Those pieces inside the spring look pretty rusted up. I been soaking it over night in some degreaser solution so hopefully I can get things rolling since the torch method didn't work either.

Latest posts

Back