Western Flyer 24 5 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not mine, trying to help out a buddy get more info on this bike. Thanks for any info I can pass along.

3c502318ae0f707bae08630cece88643.jpg

Made by Murray Ohio for Western Auto, 1960s. Same frame as Spaceliner, Solar Flite, a couple of other models. I don't know if any came stock with apes and banana. Probably someone here will have more details.

This isn't a spaceliner based bike...its a 24" muscle bike (Murray built), Sears sold them as Spyders...I don't know what other retailers called them.

2015-10-02-007.jpg

...I think they are worth significantly more than what they were originally advertised at :grin:, but, I'm not a muscle bike guy so I don't know any real numbers.

Jason

I don't think it said 24 last night...

Thanks for the info, but i cant find any pics of spiders with cathedral fenders or that front springer..? Idk... could be custom like that shifter nob [emoji2371] The guy said its all original minus the nob that he made for it.

c0bb08239027d5c513d8538905fe9acf.jpg

5ab6c829237917312cbdc83cdbe68255.jpg

I'm pretty sure the fenders don't go with the bike...or the chainring (ross or snyder, I think). The rat trap looks original to the bike, but I don't see any springer versions of this bike, either...but, I'm not a muscle bike guy.

24" Spaceliners could come with rat trap springers...but, they did not come as five speeds or (I don't think) that violet/purple color (and I've seen multiple spyders with the same color and seat tube graphics).

Western Auto may have not called these Spyders...so, it could be if we just had the right model name these would pop up in searches more regularly.

You might try posting this in the Muscle Bike section...it might be more visible to the experts and maybe they will chime in.

I'm pretty sure the fenders don't go with the bike...or the chainring

I think it could be a Western Flyer version of the 10 speed Spyder with the big ring removed and that guard added. Polo seat is from a whole other era than that shade of purple. Not sure about the springer. If the ends of the fork have holes in them instead of regular fork dropouts it could be something Western Flyer added. Also has a 24x1.75 wheel/tire up front instead of the 24x1 3/8 which would make sense with a springer. Probably a rare bike. Looks cool the way it is.

Here's a 10 speed Spyder. That bike probably would have came with the dual rear brakes also.

IMG_1442_zpsd909436f.jpg

RustyGold is right this would be a good one to post in the muscle bike forum. Unless I can get @rfeagleye to chime in here. He knows everything about muscle bikes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back