western flyer 5star sprockets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ok when I was out looking for an ammo box for a project I came across a ladies 26 inch western flyer bicycle. What I am curious about is it has a couple features that interest me and I wanted to know if they had any value to them
The first is the 5 star front sprocket which is clean and just dirty not rusted out the second is the peaked fenders which are painted not chrome and in decent shape
He wants 25 for the bike and I need to know if that is worth it my girlfriend says no unless it is worth it in parts So I need proof to convince her. Sorry I couldn't tAke a picture but overall the bike is clean but about a 6 for condition

I honestly don't know what a 5 star sprocket looks like, but $25 is about as cheap as it comes for a bike.

Ah, I am very familiar with that chainring. I have used one of those AMF star chainrings (or the jeweled variation) on 3 of my 4 Build Off bikes. Those chainrings usually sell in the $20-40 range, so tell your gal that it is OK to buy the bike.

Sounds like a decent price. Will your girlfriend not ride it?

That sprocket pictured is mine. I probably payed 10 or 20 for the bike and 20 to have the sprocket re-chromed. Don't recall for sure been many years ago.

It's been on this bike ever since.
P1040522.JPG

Sounds like a decent price. Will your girlfriend not ride it?

That sprocket pictured is mine. I probably payed 10 or 20 for the bike and 20 to have the sprocket re-chromed. Don't recall for sure been many years ago.

It's been on this bike ever since.
P1040522.JPG
heya locojoe
yeah I saw that after I posted the pic. hope it is ok to use it I just needed a pic for reference
that thing cleaned up nicely
I don't think the problem is with her riding it so much as it is she is worried I will sink more money into bikes I already got alto into the 4 I have.
nonetheless I got to hold off on the bike anyways due to an unexpected issue with my hot water tank.
thanks for the info
sean

I gave one of these star sprockets to a local bike shop owner last summer because he sponsored a vintage cruiser ride with about 200 riders and provided the food for an afterglow. He was flabbergasted. He has a huge collection of vintage bikes, all sizes from an original peneyfarthing through bran new Schwinn Paramount. He only has one of these star sprockets. He has shadowboxes and display cases full of coaster brakes, head badges and other cool stuff. He went around showing it off to other collectors at the after party and they were envious. He almost wouldn't accept it until I assured him it was a token of appreciation. It was in very good condition - no rust or pitting. So I think you could sell the star chain wheel for most of the $ you spend.

Latest posts

Back