Western Flyer (Monark built) 1953?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I almost let my big mouth get in the way of purchasing this gem! I saw this bike 15 minutes after it was posted on Craigslist for $150.00. I emailed the guy as quick as I could (no phone number) and waited. Then, the next day, I emailed again.......... finally a response, "I am just too busy this weekend to show the bike, I can bring it to town some time this week and meet you somewhere. Great, I think that I am first in line for this bike. I email where I work and my hours, and offer to meet anywhere any time that suits him. No Response.................... 3 days later, I see that the ad is gone off of Craigslist!!!!! I am pissed and want to give this guy a piece of my mind! BUT, I wait and cool down so I can send a nice email, telling him that I thought I would get first shot at this bike, because he was the one that was too busy to show it. Waited........................................................................he showed up at my work Friday afternoon, said that he was sorry for taking so long.... busy busy. The reason that he took the ad down was because he had like 100 emails about the bike and he was sure that if I didn't take it... one of the next in line surely would. Dang, no bargaining....I handed him $150.00 and smiled as I rolled it into the building. My best guess is 1953, but I think that Rustinkerer can tell me for sure.

It is basically a Monark Rocket that is badged a Western Flyer, although it does have more chrome that the basic Rocket.
IMG_1397.JPG

The pics of this bike showed flat ww tires. Added air! A VERY NICE set of Carlisle Lightning Darts w/ Indian heads!
IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_13991.JPG

Anybody know what headlight belongs on this fender? Basic delta torpedo, I am guessing.
IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

I wanting to try and bring the old paint back to life. Any pointers? Flitz, 000 steel wool, boiled linseed oil????

That's a wicked find and good back story.
Start with softest cleaners possible and work your way up. Boiled linseed sounds right when you get the paint to where you want it.
Nice set of tires on it too and light was likely Torpedo-esque.
Real Sweet Bike- Score!

Thanks man, I have a delta hawk that I painted red/black/white to match my last build off bike. Then I decided not to use it, it might match this bike pretty well......I think I'll bolt it on, it should look o.k.

Really cool. I had never seen a Monark Flyer with the jet graphics. Learn something new everyday. About a month ago, I found a CWC version but the graphics are a bit different.

As far as cleaning, I wouldn't hit the graphics with chemicals or steel wool! Sharp bike man

Really cool. I had never seen a Monark Flyer with the jet graphics. Learn something new everyday. About a month ago, I found a CWC version but the graphics are a bit different.

As far as cleaning, I wouldn't hit the graphics with chemicals or steel wool! Sharp bike man

Yeah, I was worried about cleaning the graphic completely off of the tank! I have seen 5 or 6 Monark rockets, but I am thinking that this Flyer is fairly rare. I have the cwc tank too, the graphic is almost identical.

Latest posts

Back