Western Flyer X-53 revival

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I posted about this 1953 Western Flyer I picked up from a coworker. Well, now I had to take the day off to be here for the HVAC guys to come do some repairs, so I spent the last hour or two removing lights and racks and reflectors and mirrors and wiping the barn dirt off with a dry rag. I also switched out the goofy cartoon seat. Yes, I know this is a seat off a womens' bike, but it's still significantly less offensive than what was on there.

IMG_2055.JPG

The center headlight was mounted on the stem bolt, and while I had it out to remove it I decided to see if the stem was stuck in the fork. It was pretty rusty and crusty, but it didn't put up much of a fight. I cleaned it up a little in there and greased the stem and wedge before putting it back in.

I took the tank off and much to my surprise, the horn guts were all there and not corroded away to nothing. I spent a few minutes filing on the contacts and, well, I'll be dipped. The horn works.

I had been mostly amused at the goofy mods the previous owner had done to the bike till I noticed the water bottle cage. Egads, he drilled holes in the seat tube. Now I think the guy is a menace.
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2057.JPG

I have a bunch of things on the honey-do list to take care of today, but I hope to get to a store where I can buy some Goof-Off (and maybe some oven cleaner and acetone) and start experimenting.

Latest posts

Back