What a Kent.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello forum.

I came for the tech, but I'll stay for the debauchery.
Currently working out the kinks of my '89 Fusion ATB, and to learn a thing or two on the secrets of friction shifter systems.

Started with the original 44T crank sprocket which was just useless with the 28T 1st gear. Constantly looping out.
Swapped out to at 52T crank sprocket and it's much more manageable.
With 14T 5th gear, it's fun chasing down the roadies while wearing jeans and a T-shirt.
20220719_203500.jpg
20221001_130559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard. Nice looking bike. About that 52T cog... well, more accurately, the swap to that big ol' 52 tooth gear. How was adjusting to it? Got extra long crank arms to take advantage of the extra oomph? Does / did it stress your muscles? I frequently think on movin' on up from the dismally diminutive factory selected cogs to a dee-lux apartment in the sky. Uh, scratch that last bit. Tickets! Tickets, please!

About that 52T cog... well, more accurately, the swap to that big ol' 52 tooth gear. How was adjusting to it?
Normally do a 33 1/3mile(aka The Frank Drebin) run on my 20" 'Goose BMX(1.95 Hookworms @65psi) 3x a week. Geared 44/14(3.14 ratio). Makes for fast and smooth. It takes ~2:30, this is a run with 2-3 pit stops, stop signs, rail road crossings, stoplights and other obstacles. ~13MPH is not my average speed, 16.5MPH is closer to actual.

FWIW, 44/16(2.75 ratio) is what's normally found on older 20" BMXs, newer BMX use 25/9(2.78 ratio) micro gearing.

With the Fusion current gear ratios are;
1st 52/28(1.86)
2nd 52/24(2.17)
3rd 52/20(2.6)
4th 52/17(3.06)
5th 52/14(3.71)

With the original 44 crank sprocket and 28T(1.57) first gear was too low, very easy to loop out.

3rd gear is 2.6 and 4th is 3.06. These are lower ratios compared to the BMX but the ATB uses larger(2.125) and lower pressure(35-40Psi) tires. Most cruising is between 3rd and 4th. 4th gear equates out to the same as the 'Goose. 5th gear is a bonus for downhills and trolling roadies.

Tires I've had on the Kent;
Duro Motocross-Grips are 2.125 @35psi, these are mud tires and are quite slow and rumbly for the street.
Kenda Comp II K44 2.125 @40Psi are much smoother, but are still an offroad tire that drags a bit.
Primo Dirt Monsters 1.95 @65Psi are dirt tires, smooth but are still snake bellies, they get buzzy at speed.

These are large/soft tires, the Kent is also quite a bit heavier than the 'Goose. Heavy steel ATB frame and chrome vs lighter steel frame and AL bits on the 'Goose.

Adapting wasn't a problem, it's more psychological than physical for me.
Have these various gears to choose from now, so find myself seated more, which I *think* is being lazy/slow. When used to a given cadence=a given speed, cranking out the same cadence and the speed is lower, it can be a bit frustrating.
I'm not a cadence chaser, this is a new experience for me.

Cmdr Ronald said:
Got extra long crank arms to take advantage of the extra oomph? Does / did it stress your muscles?
I've stuck to 175mm cranks. It's what was fairly common with BMX and my 24" Murray ATB, so I'm used to it. Might just switch to 170mm or 165mm cranks. BB on the Kent is so low on occasion nailed a high curb that would normally miss on the 'Goose. Also have not had the inside pedal up high enough when taking a corner and nearly highsided. But that's more of remembering which bike is being ridden.

As for 'stress', the Kent is heavier so it requires more work to keep up at the same speed as the Goose. Riding with the same group it can take a bit more effort to keep my position than the 'Goose, but that has more to do with the bike being heavier, loose ball bearings, and large squishy tires. So more of a workout at times, but not fatigue inducing. Don't try cruising around in 5th(3.71) gear, that would just cause knee pain by overloading at low speeds. Stick to 3rd(2.6) and 4th(3.06) gears on most flats. Bike isn't aero, not dressed in spandex cause not a cadence chaser, trying to maintain any kind of higher speeds(20+mph) on the flats is not really fun. Although, do do it from time to time if a roadie/gravel dork is being a bit of a D-bag.

Takes em down a peg or two when some fat guy on a 20" starts grinding their back tire.
Might have to add whitewalls and fenders for added insult💩

Hello forum.

I came for the tech, but I'll stay for the debauchery.
Currently working out the kinks of my '89 Fusion ATB, and to learn a thing or two on the secrets of friction shifter systems.

Started with the original 44T crank sprocket which was just useless with the 28T 1st gear. Constantly looping out.
Swapped out to at 52T crank sprocket and it's much more manageable.
With 14T 5th gear, it's fun chasing down the roadies while wearing jeans and a T-shirtView attachment 215273
I can just imagine the looks on a roadie when he has you riding his rear wheel…priceless.

I see you have been introduced to the horror, excuse me, honor of the 5 speed freewheel system. Having grown up on these old systems my take is this. First the 5 speed chain is quite wide, they started narrowing the chain to get more speeds till you have really narrow and quick to wear out chain. The 5 speed chain is very stiff side to side so to shift, one has to really push the chain to the next sprocket. This push starts the chain making noise as it contacts the new sprocket. Once the chain gets on the new sprocket you will find that you overshifted because the chain will be noisy. Shift back a little. The overshift issues really disappeared with 7 speed index shifting. I believe a banana seat with a tall sissy bar while wearing flip flops probably would be most insightful to the hardcore roadie racer person being followed. A banana seat with pink flowers would challenge the "norm" even more.

I see you have been introduced to the horror, excuse me, honor of the 5 speed freewheel system..
[/QUOTE]
Oh I remember that chain, currently it's sporting a Z7 KMC chain that alone makes shifting smoother. The multispeed system on this bike had/has a few issues with it that still need to be corrected. For the most part it operates fine for my current needs, and hunting for gears is part of the romance in riding this ATB.

I believe a banana seat with a tall sissy bar while wearing flip flops probably would be most insightful to the hardcore roadie racer person being followed. A banana seat with pink flowers would challenge the "norm" even more.
Already gathering parts for such a beast. I want a banana seat however that usually puts your rear over the back tire, not the best position for putting the power down while seated. It will probably look more like a Micargi 20" beach cruiser than a low rider. Its goal is to be a trollmobile.

Latest posts

Back