Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, i want to start this off by saying I am not a bike collector or a professional at all, and therefore I apologize for anything I get wrong or label wrong.

I got this bike at an estate sale for dirt cheap and I’m just curious to know what it is and/or what the value is. It has clearly been spray-painted (very poorly) and I cannot find a maker’s mark anywhere.

412AE53E-A96D-44AC-B18D-50C524E2A50B.jpeg
741BE229-298E-45A3-84FE-B91646308568.jpeg
67A6CC1D-DA3C-4FB8-8414-259E14238DE1.jpeg
F1C782CA-CC79-42E7-8714-F69422F891E9.jpeg

Frame and fenders are HP Snyder. Rollfast is their in-house brand, could also been sold as a few different store brands (example, Hawthorne = Montgomery Wards) The rest is, as stated above, is mixed parts.

The rear rack is Murray I think.
Since you don't like the paint, that bike would be a good candidate for a bare metal cruiser.

Seat looks similar to Worksman bikes (Messinger?) but brown, and maybe without springs (hard to see), such as from an exercise bike?

Paint looks fairly neatly done,

Hi everyone - thanks for your input on this bike - what do you reckon the parts are worth if I broke it down and sold them individually?

I realize the paint looks nice in the pics but that’s after 1 hour of polishing - even after that it still has some defects in it (runs, patches that are worn thin). I checked on it today and the shine from the polish seems to have gone and it’s reverted back to its dull state.

The seat says mesinger on the back and does not have springs.

Would it be more valuable to part this bike out or sell it as a whole? What would someone be willing to pay for the whole bike? Would it be worth my time to part out?

what do you reckon the parts are worth if I broke it down and sold them individually?
Would it be more valuable to part this bike out or sell it as a whole? What would someone be willing to pay for the whole bike? Would it be worth my time to part out?
It depends on what your time is worth; if you like to sell things, and make trips to the post office, so buyers get their stuff right away. It depends on your patience to keep prices higher while waiting for that special buyer.

Advice is to find out what the pieces are and identify them as such; maybe do market research.

Also keep some parts together for as long as you can; seat tube and fork with frame; leaving bearing cups installed; warshing parts. The frame, fenders, and wheels would be the more difficult items to sell/ship due to bulk. Check online prices for similar items.

Last edited:
No head badge, new inexpensive pedals with reflectors, looks like a Bendix Red Band coaster hub, hodgepodge of parts and no cruiser handlebars. I don't think it is worth the time parting out. I do think you could sell it as a whole bike though. The spray bomb paint could easily be removed with careful rag rubbing with Gun Scrubber or Goof Off. The original paint will scrub a little but if you are careful you can remove the red spray paint to see what is under there. That and something like Brasso and aluminum foil on the chrome and you will have a different bike. You could paint the rack and chain guard a contrasting color like black or whatever contrasts with the original color. If the fenders are a different color paint those black too. It will look good. If you don't have the time to do this, tell a prospective buyer he can easily remove the spray bomb. I see potential in the bike and if someone wants a classic to ride, this is a good one. Try for $100 and don't take less. Bikes like this sell for $25 to $40 here, but they don't come up for sale very often. Three years ago they were all $25 but they are getting scarce at that price now. The last three I bought in this vintage over the last year were two at $40 and one at $25. I did pay $175 last summer for a 1930s Colson that needed a lot of repairs, but I wanted it, for the long spring saddle that had excellent upholstery. I fixed it and replaced the saddle and gave It to my son in law for his birthday. Perhaps you could give it away as a gift.

Further examination also shows a Murray made rear rack, early to mid 60's. The chain guard looks like a Murray Monterey style from the 80's or 90's. The front fork is probably Schwinn, the late 50's Snyder made Rollfast frame would have a different style fork. The handlebar stem is alloy off a ten speed bike of some kind, and the small ape handlebars could be from any number of places. The rims don't match, but are the same size and the gumwall tires look to be in good shape. Someone went to a lot of trouble to put it together so it might be best to just ride it instead of parting it or selling it. If you must sell it, I would agree that 100 bucks should be the going price.

Latest posts

Back