What defines a Rat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my take on a rat is...... yes age is one......

i could go out and buy a new stingray and flat black it but i don't feel it to be "RAT"

paint is two.... going to catch crap for this but when it is all nice and glossy i don't see it as RAT shiny and clean = vintage not a rat

VINTAGE
39coupe.jpg

RAT ROD
img16.jpg

rat rods of any nature are not restored as in the way they looked when they roll out of the showroom floor.
restored in working order yes.. all the bells and wistles no
everybody will have their own take on them but when you look for rat rod cars most look the same

Salt%20Flats%20rat%20rod.jpg

1/3 redneck 1/3 white trash 1/3 dirty old bike = RAT ROD

I like what Multipass had to say

A can of worms indeed. One could write an encyclopedia trying to analyze, define and categorize the various types of custom car cultures and sub-cultures. Even the term “Rat Rod” is controversial.

Generally speaking, the bikes here tend to be vintage or vintage style cruisers customized with traditional hot-rod styling influences.

BUT, having said that, there is quite a diverse selection of custom rides here. We’ve got choppers, muscle bikes, lowriders, stretch limos and even at least one fixie! The common bond is a Do-It-Yourself attitude with a willingness to share ideas and knowledge. I truly hope that we, as an online community, don’t become afflicted with “True Believer Syndrome”

Just my 2 cents

BINGO!

I think it was determined, unofficially, that a Rat Rod Bike is what a Rat Rod Car is. Original Hot Rod style (except a bike)

In cars, this usually means an age requirment, but we're a little more laid back, so as long as it has that "old school" flavor and is homebuilt, that's probably it.

? rat rod?

taking what you have and building a bike that looks like you've had it for 40 yrs, and then throw a little rock~n~roll into it!

Back