What do I have here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bike noob... but I do know this is the bike I've been searching for to start a build, and I finally found it at a bike shop attached to a local charity thrift store. The bike tech there is replacing all the bearings and putting tires on her and I'm going to ride her looking just like that for a while... Can you help me ID the bike?
2re5e14.jpg

The frame is definitely built by Murray and it could have been badged one of about a million things. They made this frame from about '59 into the 70s. It looks like there's a headbadge still there; what does it say?

May not be what it is, but looks like what used be sold in the 1980s as a Murray Monterey.
I had one ~1980ish that came with a Sachs 2spd auto hub which was awesome.
The frame and crank...not so much. Although it did hold up for ~6mo of paper route use until it was stolen from school.
Got a used Schwinn cantilever, probly from the 70s I guess to replace it.

Headbadge was only kind of there. I was going to buy the bike anyway and I only got curious about what it was after I left the shop. Should have it back early next week. Thanks!

The seat & reflectors say 80s. Most of these newer Murrays have a decal at the bottom of the seat tube with the build date on it. -Adam

Back