What kind of scrap prices are you seeing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always feel like I'm getting ripped off at my nearest scrap yard, but then again I haven't really found a good way to figure out what to expect when I go in. Their website doesn't have any prices posted on it, and I can never seem to find a good source to even get a ballpark figure on what kind of money I might get on any given day. There are so many different distinctions made for things you might be taking in, different grades and types of aluminum, etc. I never know what I'm going to get until the receipt is in my hand.

The nearest place to me is 20 miles away, and the next nearest is probably 50 miles (that I know of). Yesterday I knew I was going to be going past the place, so I actually remembered to gather up a bunch of aluminum to take in (I usually remember I have that stuff as I'm going past the place).

Total take - 68 lbs of various aluminum - $38.00

I really thought it would be more, especially since I took the time to remove every last ounce of steel/screws/plastic/etc. (That seems like a gimmick they can get you on, if you have 20 lbs of aluminum shelving with one sheetmetal screw in it, that's where they'll stick their magnet.)

Cans were worth the most at .60/lb, 2 aluminum radiators .53/lb, everything else was .56/lb...asked about price per pound for cast aluminum car wheels and was told .73 cents. Not really worth getting rid of them for that price. They'll make cooler wall art.

I didn't even ask about steel. I have a lot of scrap steel lying around too, but not enough to offset the back breaking work loading it up and the gas to get there. I think I'll just give it to my neighbor to take with his stuff the next time he goes, just to get it out of the way.

Does anyone know of a good website that has clear ballpark day to day prices? Maybe I just hit the place on a bad day, but I thought it would be more.

That's a common thing about aluminum, you always think you got more than you do. It's light and takes a bunch to make up a pound. I normally only get $0.55 per pound around here for cans and they will nitpick on anything to call it "dirty" or "wet" and give you $0.10 per pound. Copper is where it's at. :wink:

All right then. I guess they can't be scamming too many people since they've been in business forever and are always busy...guess I just had my hear set on a windfall...

I forgot to add I also had a catalytic converter with me. The guy that weighed me in was nice enough to tell me that they only give $5 for them, but there was a place 15 miles away that pays market prices for them, anywhere from $60-$120. Unfortunately when I went to the town it was supposed to be in the parts guy at the Autozone told me it used to be there, but had recently gone out of business. Oh well, got to see another little town I had never been to before...

Whenever I take scrap in I always look through the scrap bins for bikes, parts, and rat rod material. Makes the low price they give you seem so much better. So instead of taking home $15, I take home 2 bikes and a few parts. :mrgreen:

I don't see any opportunity for "browsing" at this place. I wish that was an option, but it's one of those places that only takes in material. Once it's weighed, it's gone as far as pickers are concerned.

I've never wasted my time with aluminum, it just takes too much to make a pound. grab the heavy steel and everything else you can and just take what they give you, Remember it is all free cash. I remember not that long ago when a truck load would get you $8.00, it is nice to get $50.-$80. now

Someone told me why dont you take all those next frames you have been stripping for parts and recycle them I say nope Ive got plans for them lol (a bike sculpture) why would I want to spend as much to take them to be recycled as i would get for them

dragnusa said:
Someone told me why dont you take all those next frames you have been stripping for parts and recycle them I say nope Ive got plans for them lol (a bike sculpture) why would I want to spend as much to take them to be recycled as i would get for them

I normally use my bicycle and kid's trailer to haul them in, doesn't cost me anything to do it and gives me an excuse to go look through their scrap bins for other bikes. If I had more storage I'd probably keep them but I only have a small shed.

Latest posts

Back