What number comes before 911?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you guessed 910, you're wrong... well, in my world.

I bought a building permit yesterday, $100, to build a small deck off the back of my house. My father-in-law has designed it and is giving us most, maybe all of the supplies and helping build it.

Today we got started, the inspector said he wanted to see that we had a block in the bottom of each post hole before, so the goal today was to set the posts (only 4 that needed inspecting) and get the framing done.

So I'm digging the 3rd hole and all of a sudden "PPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!" I hit a natural gas line with my post hole diggers. :eek:

I quickly filled it back with dirt and pretended like nothing happened... well, not really, I did fill it with dirt to help disperse the gas.

I didn't know who to call, so I called 911. The next thing you know, I have a fire truck, a ladder truck, the BIG rescue squad truck, the fire department suburban, volunteer fireman, a police car, blocked roads, and people coming out of their houses.

It was a little... embarrassing, but hey, what are you gonna do? The deed was done, I might get fined, but I just sat back and watched all that I had created and had a nice laugh. At least I didn't blow up. :lol:

The gas man came and did a temporary repair and will be back tomorrow to fix it for good since we're having a big storm come through right now and he didn't want to be working under my big oak trees.

So, what number comes before 911? 811... it's the number you call, you know "Call before you dig." :oops:

Oh yeah, the new ladder truck sat out blocking the road for over an hour, $560k, with a 98 foot ladder... the tallest building in town is only 5 stories high. :roll:

gasline.jpg

In illinois we just call Julie (joint utilities location information for excavators) and her # has been changed to 811 as well. Glad it was a small show to see. :wink:

aka_locojoe said:
Sorry to hear it.

Which side of the meter were you digging?

block in the bottom of each post hole
Can you explain this?

Code requires a block in the bottom of each post hole, we used solid 4x4x16 cinder blocks and broke them in half and put them in the bottom of the hole. Funny thing is, code doesn't require putting cement in the holes, just that the posts be on a footer, I just don't like the way those things look above the surface, I'll have to take a photo of the deck when it's done, it's not huge, maybe 16x20 and only 12" off the ground, and we are building it around an oak tree. The purpose of the deck is actually to cover up the oak tree roots that are a huge trip hazard.

Rockit! said:
What number comes before 911? I thought it was .357 :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me it's .380 and .410.... :mrgreen:

"911 what's your emergency?"
"I had an intruder, I need help"
"Can you see them? Are you injured?"
"Yeah I see him, I'm not injured but y'all need to come get this guy quick he's bleeding all over my clean floors." :lol:

Latest posts

Back