What size spoke wrench for '49 Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Schwinn wheel assembly pictured below will be disassembled for parts. It came off a '49 Schwinn B6. Two spokes are gone. The salvaged spokes, spoke nipples, and drum brake hub will be sold. The rim has some rust rot on the inside that may make it useless.

What size spoke wrench do I need for this wheel? Can I buy a quality brand/style multi-size tool or is a single-size best? Thanks! 8)

Wheel.jpg

i did not know it was worth that much time and effort to sell used spokes (?!). seems to me snip, snip, and the hub's on ebay..... :wink:

Thanks for telling me what you would do with the wheel. Your plan was the first that came to mind.

I plan to buy a spoke wrench and I have plenty of time. If nobody wants the parts, they will be scrapped. Still looking for answers... 8)

Re: What size spoke wrench for '49 Schwinn? SOLVED!

SOLVED! I saw one like that but I wanted to know if it would work. Thanks! 8)

Re: SOLVED! What size spoke wrench for '49 Schwinn?

Those work on a lot of different sizes, but are more inclined to "smudge" the wrenching surface on tight or rusted spokes than the long slot single size type. I'd say just go ahead and snip any that don't turn easy.

the majority of the time i'll use this wrench

http://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-wrench-SW-2

if the nipple has corroded onto the spoke, you will mangle the spoke surface a bit even if you are using the correct size wrench, even round it off completey if it is stuck on there hard enough. the nipples are brass and will deform pretty easily if theyre stuck no matter the wrench. id suggest just getting one of the cheaper multi wrenches like mentioned earlier or get an adjustable spoke wrench if it makes you feel better about uing the absolute correct size wrench.

Latest posts

Back