What size spokes do I need?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello gang, I'm trying to lace a new Shimano Nexus internal geared 7 speed hub with coaster brake into an old 26" rim I have off an early 50s Monark. The new hub has 36 holes and it'll be replacing an old New Departure Model D hub. As far as I know it's the original rim - painted creme with a reddish pinstripe around it. (Perhaps too much info!?) The new hub is much bigger than the old one so I'm in need of new, shorter spokes. Does anyone know what length and diameter I should order? Thanks much,
Pudge
MonarkButterflyer011.jpg

Close up of rim:
MonarkButterflyer014.jpg

Ummmm, I'm not the wheel expert here, but.... I'd take it to a bike shop, they have a special chart for the hub and rim size combo. I went the other way on a klunker, S/A 3 speed on a modern rim. Measure and check the chart for the lacing pattern and you have the spoke length.

deorman said:
http://www.google.com/search?q=spoke+length+calculator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Thanks for the links, Deorman. Okay, I'll admit it, I saw the spoke calculator before I asked the question. After a quick look though, I leapt off that website intimidated by hub diameters and flanges, etc., and came back here to ask the question. I guess I was hoping someone would "give me a fish" instead of "teaching me to fish"! In the long run I'll be better off figuring it out though.

Latest posts

Back