what to do....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of get the bike up and running but I was thinking of stretching it a few inches. Like 6 to 8 inches. I got the welder and the tools to do it but I don't know what to do with it. Stretch it or leave it? I know if I stretch it, it will throw of the geometry of the frame. It will lower the front end. Could I just play with the lower tubes and compensate for that? Or replace both lower tubes with new ones and change the whole thing? Like a new front section. The bike doesn't have a top tube. I could build one when I build the front end but the only thing with that is were the tubes come together, there is a raised section on the steer tube and the seat tube. How could I hide them? Is there anyway around that? I just would like a few ideas to get started.

Thanxs........

P3310011.jpg

For starters Un paint it gold...

Cut off the upper bar and reweld it up top and make a boys bike oit if it.

Somebody had to say it.

LOL.... I know. The top tube is not really a top tube. It is just bolted on for looks. It is just a flat piece of metal shaped to look like a top tube. As for the gold paint, the old owner had it painted. Who knows why though. It was in there basement for years like that.

First, pardon my crude design work, I'm not Photoshop savvy, so I rely on Visio.
With that lugged frame, you may have to 'splice' in extensions to the existing tubes to stretch it. As far as the pseudo-top tube. After the stretch maybe you can add a real top tube and attach the existing one to it, like a tank.
Anyway, I added a 6" section (roughly) to the frame. You're right, it did drop the front end, but not as far as i thought. You can tell from the angle of the cut up pics that it's not too bad. Looks like you should still be able to pedal, maybe.
Hope this helps....
Cheers,
Dr. T
stretchedgold.jpg

That is better then what I can do. Thanks for the photo. It help out to see what it might look like. I just picked up a new old frame and I am looking at graphing it to the front of this bike. it will stretch this out a few more inches. I will have to measure things up and see what I can do.

Well after some time, I got time to work on the bike. I did not make anything to crazy but it was on a budget. I found another frame and used it to make what you see here. It is not completely done but I am able to ride it around. I got a little more cleaning on the rims, over spray from the gold paint. But time and a little elbow grease will get it done. I did pick up a new project but I will start a new post for that. Thanxs for looking.

P5110004.jpg

Latest posts

Back