What to use to shine a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I got Simple Green to clean a flip bike. I started with the wheels cleaning the dirt/grime off, and it's working ok. I'm using a brilo pad for the spokes because of some light corrosion. But I've noticed the black rims look dull after I use the Simple Green. Is there some other product or technique that will shine the bike after I've cleaned it?

rubbing compound,glaze,&cleaner wax.
look in my rrbbo#7 thread there should be a picture of everything i stated(maybe not the cleaner wax but that you can get anywhere) on one of the first 2 pages...

On a lot of used bikes that were never were protected by a good carnauba wax there is a paint ingredient that is released,causing a dull lack of depth to the color. WD40 will restore that. If the black rims are dull from using a Brillo pad the cause is scratches that have to be polished out with a fine grit polishing compound,not rubbing compound.On the frame,once revitalized,Turtle Wax liquid carnauba gives a good shine .

if the paint is good, I use Turtle Wax Ice liquid. The advantage is that unlike other car wax, it does not dry white and have to be buffed. I just dries clear. It looks better bacause there is no dried white polish down in all the nooks and crannies that are so hard to get at to buff off. Just my .02.

Latest posts

Back