what would be the widest tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can put on this frame 24"

will a 24x3 work and if so would i have to mod. anything?

100_1077.jpg

100_1079.jpg

It is hard to tell from a pic, but I measured a 24 x 3 Kenda on a ballooner rim and it is about 3-1/8" wide. You could measure between the seat stays and the chain stays to see how much room you have. If it is close you could use a little finessing with a hammer to make it fit :mrgreen: The other issue with fitting large tires for me has been the chain clearance where it passes the tire. You can space the chainring out a little to try and make it work.

Probably not. No only width but height is a factor. General rule of thumb- 24x3 fit only in 26"Ballooner/heavyweight frame with no modificiation.

Buzzy,

Sweet bike! Do you know if that was a factory muscle bicycle or not? Either way it's totally cool! What is the badge on this frame- i used to have the 16 inch version of this same frame... Personally, I'd try a 20x3 tire in the back and a 24 inch tire up front.

headbadge and chaingaurd definitly says Hawthorne. thats as much as i can figure out besides that the handelbars and banana seat/sissy bar are probably not stock on the bike.

Ratina is probably right now that I look at it again. I'm guessing the frame itself is late 1950's to early 1960's. More likely to be early 1960's, I think. It would be a really neat bike to restore with the current look or just clean gently and make ride-able considering it looks to be an older conversion. :D

Edit: I think I've seen Hawthorne tanks on eBay that would fit that, I'll go look... It may not have ever head a tank, but then there is that odd bracket piece on the top tube... Maybe it had one of those smaller space-style tanks that was up against the top tube.

Back