"What's in a name, anyway?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my best builds are all themed and names are part of it. Good source material is song names, video game titles and cartoon vehicles from our childhood. Little Neutrino, ALiEN FiRE and Thunderbolt Greaseslapper fit. Sometimes it's a struggle, Harlequin was a build that went thru a few changes but eventually worked out. Sometimes it's the absurd or silly that catch. DoorK, while incomplete. is still an example of this. For this build, DEADSPACE, I'm attempting to evoke the darker side of interplanetary exploration ??? and using a spinoff off from the manufacturers name Spaceliner. That or it was just a cool name so I'm using it for my build...

GC.

Last edited:
Using the existing bike name as a start, My inspiration for the name, "The Great (Haro) Escape." Is inspired by the amazing Steve McQueen and his motorcycle jump stunt to escape from a WW2 POW camp.
iu

For some reason I watched this movie many times as a kid and that got it burned into the 'ole neurons pretty well.
BSG-McQueen1.jpg

I must admit this his signature Husky from "On any Sunday" is inspiration as well. The Escape's swoopy frame design seems to follow the vibe.
s2400020-jpg.193839

Revenant, means back from the dead. My bike has been dead for 80 years so it’s coming back to life. It will be a rat with worn races everywhere that aren’t replaceable. It’ll still be pretty well worn and sketchy when done but rideable. Don’t laugh at my attempt to bring this thing back from rotted, twisted, dented, pitted rust stuck junk. It’ll look and work better than you will when your 130 years old.

Revenant, means back from the dead. My bike has been dead for 80 years so it’s coming back to life. It will be a rat with worn races everywhere that aren’t replaceable. It’ll still be pretty well worn and sketchy when done but rideable. Don’t laugh at my attempt to bring this thing back from rotted, twisted, dented, pitted rust stuck junk. It’ll look and work better than you will when your 130 years old.
After reading about your bike I watched a recent western called Revenant. I had to look the term up though I picked up the meaning in context.

After reading about your bike I watched a recent western called Revenant. I had to look the term up though I picked up the meaning in context.
I’m thinking of using water for assembly lube. That way the next guy can have as much fun as I did taking it apart.

Last edited:
The names things are given have been one of the biggest sales pitch / gimmicks / selling points
for a long time. Hence the "@ Trademark", "patented", "name brand" and so on.

Some of the "names" ratters give these bikes are equal to or maybe better than the build, when it
comes to having "fun making something useful from castaways, scrap, junk, and "rusty gold".
My view on it anyway.
And not just the bikes.

One of our favorites is "Flotsam" for the current boat, 'cause that is what she was built from,
"floating boat wreckage"

Some are more creative than others. Some just make sense by what they are.

the blue Goose, when first assembled, was the "DiamondGooseGTtype"
( diamond back forks, mongoose frame, GT bars, and a "Forklifter" type, (offshore) stem.

Now that the back half of that bike is a tandem, it has become "RedGoose".
Not that original, but fits. Redline front, Mongoose back.

"Goose Trike" uses the front of that Mongoose frame.
'Vike trike" uses the fork and head tube, with "Nervex" lugs, from an old Viking 10 speed.

"UpDown 2" is the second round of building a tandem with the rear rider having the
controls and being able to see over the head of the front rider.

"Back to the cross" was just given to the chopper build started years ago and just now
getting on with the testing / modifying stage. The frame gusset with the cross was an
early part of this bike.

"Junk to Klunk ", in one day, was what happened to that frame.

And I can pick out another while I'm posting this,
"That's Intense", the zebra striped Intense race frame recently picked up with a large pile
of bikes / parts from the "Coles"

Just talked to Ted, turns out he was able to pull that one out from the scrap metal dumpster
at his local transfer station by "sweet talking" the attendants , who are supposed to stop
all "dumper diving". thanks Ted.

While these names are not as creative as many here at RRB, they do fit the builds, and
are more fun to repeat than just saying "the black trike", or the red one.

I sure do get a kick out of the names of the other builds at RRB.

Keep 'em comin',

Sorry, too many words, not enough pics.

Well there is no doubt that the names can have an effect on things, and sometimes that they don’t deserve, for better or worse, but one thing is for certain:

There is nothing you could call a skunk that would make it smell better.

Latest posts

Back