Wheel Chair Wheels "Q"'s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple of thoes wheels, I think a few guys have used them in the past. Was wondering on how the drive was mounted. I think I can get the front ok, but some help on the back would be welcome.
Thanks, Rich-

a wheel chair just has a solid bolt that goes through it. no clue how you would make a drive wheel work though sorry.

i dont know if it would work well, but how about a small driven wheel that touches the wheelchair wheels outer circumferance and drives it that way? sorta like 2 gears meshing without teeth. saw something on a artic expedition vehicle on tv that made me think of that. like the way a dynomometers drums are turned by a cars tire, only backwards. hope this makes sense.

X-RAY said:
i dont know if it would work well, but how about a small driven wheel that touches the wheelchair wheels outer circumferance and drives it that way? sorta like 2 gears meshing without teeth. saw something on a artic expedition vehicle on tv that made me think of that. like the way a dynomometers drums are turned by a cars tire, only backwards. hope this makes sense.

Friction Drive, ok, then the first drve wheel needs to go in the reverse direction to drive the wheel on the ground forwards......

Hmmmmm.....

66olds98 said:
I have no idea, but, I thought you were "MacGyver", you can figure it out.

Even I need help. Some times the night time meds kinda help....

friction drive, yeah, thats what its called! couldnt think of the proper name last nite, but glad you fellas knew what i meant. as i laid in bed last nite, it hit me that it would drive the wheel backwards. i fell asleep thinking how to fix it, and heres what i came up with: add 2 idler wheels between the drive & driven wheels. it would look like a gear-drive setup for a camshaft in a race motor. that would get it spinning the correct direction.

That might be cool, but I was just going to use the KISS method on the build. I do want to build a 3 rear wheel friction drive, front end chopped out some day. I saw a vid on youtube of the dang bike but I cant seem to find it. Looked way cool.

Is there a circumstances that it was easily to use rather than the another one? What would be the Friction drives can make it good and safety? I think that this is not easy for the user to have this features.

Latest posts

Back