Wheel Cleaning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The enameled wheels on my '55 Spitfire have a few spots where there is some rust coming through the paint where there are no visible scrapes and a few spots where the paint has chipped and the rust is a bit more severe. The inside of the wheels are fine, just the outer surface where there are problems. What can I do to clean up the ruse and prevent it from coming back with out hurting the paint or pinstripes?
3764157d.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
The enameled wheels on my '55 Spitfire have a few spots where there is some rust coming through the paint where there are no visible scrapes and a few spots where the paint has chipped and the rust is a bit more severe. The inside of the wheels are fine, just the outer surface where there are problems. What can I do to clean up the ruse and prevent it from coming back with out hurting the paint or pinstripes?
3764157d.jpg

You can scrape off the rust and clear coat it to stop the rust but as far as repairing it only thing I know is to sand and re-paint the rim.

I was just browsing the oxalic acid post (link by Rat Rod on "Dear Rust, I Hate You" post), and it mentioned someone who collected old steel beer cans used it to remove surface rust from the cans, and it didn't hurt the paint. I'm going to try a few spots on a frame this week, and see what happens. -Adam

Latest posts

Back