wheel size?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone has (well I'me sure some of you have) put 24" tires and wheels on a 26" beach cruiser?
Has anyone put a smaller tire on the back? Say 24"... and kept a 26" up front?
Seems to me it would contribute to an overall bobber look.
I'd love to see some pictures.

knuckles said:
Not sure my thinking is correct, but here's how I see it...
if you replace 26" wheels with 24's it would drop the bike 1". But if you changed just the back to a 24", it would drop the bike 1/2"...??

Sounds right - if the tyres are the same thickness and the bb is midway along the bike length.

24X3 Thick Brick on the back of this Elgin, you do need to be careful on some bikes as the shape of the tire can have a big effect. Kenda flames for instance are more square in profile and don't fit as easily. This one has less than 1/4" clearance each side. The diameter of the 24X3 is ~25 1/2" the 26X2.125(quick brick) is just about 26" on the dot, maybe a little over, so almost no practical affect on ride height YMMV.

IMG_1471.jpg

Will the thick bricks fit on a middlewieght schwinn frame? I have a set of 24" rims with GT mohawk hubs I would love to throw on my bike. I am afraid that they might not fit with the 3" tire without modification to the frame.

Thanks
OR

Probably will be tough on a middle weight unless you can get the wheel far enough back. There's a bunch of old threads on this subject like the one below(there's also some threads on spreading that area of the frame to accomodate);

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4807&p=48043&hilit=24x3#p48043

Seems I remember one where the question was speicifc to what exact frames would fit a 24X3, but if you just do a search on "24X3" plenty of hits come up. There probably should be a sticky just on this for as much as it comes up. Also look in the "How To Manual" sticky ion this forum there's probbaly something there also.

Latest posts

Back