wheelbuilding question/bent hub flange

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OK, i figured I'd ask here b/c many of you seem to work with stuff in rough condition more often, and have an open mind. Asking this sort of question in most bike-related forums would result in the ultra-sanitary "get something pristine!" responses...

I recently bought a "NOS" (yeah, right) ACS high-flange front hub on fee-prey. The hub is black, has some chips (guess it could be "shop wear", but who knows?), and looks to be in decent shop...til you spin it, at which point, the one flange is noticeably bent. There's a hop, a wobble, whatever you want to call it. I don't know if late-70s ACS quality control would typically have wobbly flanges, and i'm not too worried. I guess my question is: do you think that a slight hop in the flange is something i could work around while building this wheel? Can i build a strong/true wheel with a hub like this? Or should i moan to ebay and get a refund/replacement? The thing cost $15/$5 shipping, so it's no big deal, but on principle, i need a hub like this, and i don't want to have wasted the $20 needlessly...

Thanks,
-rob

ps- my ultra-sensitive eyeball-meter says that there's between 1 and 2mm of wiggle going on with the bent flange

DO NOT use it if its bent aluminum.

It only bends one way...then breaks off the other way.

If you are talking about a bend that is less than one tenth of an inch (.1") and this would be called "Runout" then don't worry about it if you cannot see any deformation or cracking in the hub shell.

thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Looking at the flange with some fresh eyeballs over 24 hours later, i think the term "bent" may be inaccurate. The better term might be "warped". There's no crease, cracks, or dramatic signs of damage. I can just see it "wiggle" as i spin it. The other flange is true, to my eye.

I think what i'm going to do is, tomorrow, take it to the local shop, and let the mech take a look at it. It's the kind of place where they aren't afraid of using old/used/weird stuff, but they aren't going to suggest building a thing if it's unsafe or just plain not-worth-it. Depending on the wrench's verdict, i'll either be seeking a refund or trying to have a go with this hub. I just want to build this bike, and i'm beginning to lose my mind.

thanks again. any additional insights or reactions would be much appreciated.

-rob

all good points said above, bent aluminum shouldnt be trusted but if its just a misaligned hub flange (and from the sound of it pretty minor) the spoke tension may be enough to line it back up. sound like it may have just been dropped at some point in my opinion.

CCR said:
.....sounds like it may have just been dropped at some point in my opinion.

i hate when that happens..... :x

Latest posts

Back