WHEN CHAPS GO BAD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Riding down the George Bush Turnpike doing 70MPH when one of his chaps came unzipped and flew back and got caught in his rear wheel or in the chain and gear. The wheel locked up and he went down quick. Luckily he was not hurt too bad and is back on the bike today. Somehow he got this video from the state I guess for insurance reasons or something.

Pretty wild stuff! :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuqIdnUhq4

Holy cow - seems like a minor miracle the guy didn't get run over after going down, too. :shock:

bmxerpete said:
Leave the chaps to the Village People and the guys in South Beach. :mrgreen:

That is one lucky dude.

You're right on both counts. As a biker, it always makes me cringe to see one of my brothers or sisters take a bad spill. It's reassuring to know that there are some people Stateside who are not afraid to get involved and try to save a life. :D

Thank God for the people who stopped to help him...I thought that big Doge pick up was gona bowl him down..Things happen quickly at 70 mph. :wink: I agree Chaps are for the Village People..

One day last fall I had just left my dad's and pulled out onto the highway. A guy on a motorcycle was coming the other way and his kickstand came loose and somehow bounced up into his back wheel. He lost control and came off the bike and slid into a telephone pole right in front of my eyes. He was killed instantly. The guy in the video was real lucky. Gary

B607 said:
One day last fall I had just left my dad's and pulled out onto the highway. A guy on a motorcycle was coming the other way and his kickstand came loose and somehow bounced up into his back wheel. He lost control and came off the bike and slid into a telephone pole right in front of my eyes. He was killed instantly. The guy in the video was real lucky. Gary

Bro, I don't envy you with that experience! :shock: There are reasons I do a pre-flight check of my sickels, scooters and mopeds before I ride and do regular maintenance. It's kept me upright for the last 40+ years.

I learned my lesson in my misspent youth (probably around 1967) when I did a wheelie with my chopped, extended fork (off my Italian 10-speed) Sears 'Stingray-style' bike and the front wheel came off!!! With the large sissy bar on the back, I couldn't bail and ended up cartwheeling down Wilshire Blvd in L.A. collecting gravel rash and generally messing up the bike. Luckily, the cars behind saw what was happening and kept well away. I dragged myself and the bike onto the sidewalk, stuck the front wheel back on and rode the last mile or so home. After that I made sure everything that should be tight was...

I found out later the guy that got killed was a young guy that worked on motorcycles for people in his spare time. He had just worked on the bike that crashed and was taking it back to the owner. He must have gotten in a hurry buttoning it up and didn't do that pre-flight check. I've never ridden motorcycles but that little check up before you ride sounds like a good idea to me. Gary

B607 said:
I found out later the guy that got killed was a young guy that worked on motorcycles for people in his spare time. He had just worked on the bike that crashed and was taking it back to the owner. He must have gotten in a hurry buttoning it up and didn't do that pre-flight check. I've never ridden motorcycles but that little check up before you ride sounds like a good idea to me. Gary

Wow, that's really sad. Yes, I'd do the pre-flight, even with a pedal powered machine. It could save you. I was out on my Kawasaki Estrella m/c yesterday and when I checked the tyres/tires, I noticed that the sidewalls on the front one are starting to show cracking. Looks like I'll be replacing it soon, even if it looks new!

Latest posts

Back