Where can I have repop decals custom made?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I need some decals for a resto. These decals aren’t available so they need to be custom made. I’m not getting answers so far from Salmon and and Velocals is out of business. Any other sources I’m not familiar with? I don't want to blast off the paint until I get replacement decals or stickers. If I could find flat photos of the down tube and head badge I could have them made locally. All photos I can find are on bikes so curved and of course my originals are scratched on on the bike frame.

Retrodecals by Gil is the guy the fellows at the UK forum swear by. I can't find a regular way to contact him though, just Facebook, instagram, or Twitter.
https://m.facebook.com/100064053788313/I'd wager he's not cheap though. I think @ingola has a machine he can cut stickers with

I don’t do social media, but thanks.
I don't either. It's all I could find using google. Seems odd that there's no easy way to get ahold of him. I had to do a little searching around at the RetroBike forum, he's a member there, username is gil_m . You could use that forums' messaging system to contact, or I tracked down an email address in an older thread, might still be active

[email protected]

Go to Velocals sight. They put a list of all the decal guys they knew.
I looked at that, two are 404 dead ends that don’t connect and one is only on social media. I think I have someone that might be able to change an existing one they have to be like what I want. I have time. We have a local bike shop that’s been around forever and they had the very rare french Maillard puller for the worn out 5 speed and the wheels are true. The 5 speed is way worn out so that’s tossed. The Maillard puller no longer exists in North America, but they have one. They have buckets of them, amazing. Next I’ll check the two frames for alignment, then do some braze filling if one is true. Then stripping and painting. There are apparently a lot of these early Ross mountain bikes around. The local bike shop see them quite often. They rebuilt one last summer and there is a 1985 chrome framed one in their shop now.

If you had an ink jet printer, you could make your own water slide decals. I recently learned to do this and it is fairly simple. I make them for custom Hot Wheels I build. Last summer’s build off, I hand stenciled my chain guard. Now I am making a decal to clear coat in to the paint.

If you had an ink jet printer, you could make your own water slide decals.
The weakness relying on consumer inkjet printers has been that they cannot print white and their colors on clear decal paper are not vibrant. They're perfectly suited to some applications (say, on a white frame), but for others they are not.

I only recently discovered that there is another alternative--printable vinyl sheets. That offers a lot of promise. Printed on a color laser and then paired with a Cricut cutter, the result would permit any hollow space to be weeded out in a way that hasn't been possible with white decal paper. Is this technique a savior? I guess time will tell.

The weakness relying on consumer inkjet printers has been that they cannot print white and their colors on clear decal paper are not vibrant. They're perfectly suited to some applications (say, on a white frame), but for others they are not.

I only recently discovered that there is another alternative--printable vinyl sheets. That offers a lot of promise. Printed on a color laser and then paired with a Cricut cutter, the result would permit any hollow space to be weeded out in a way that hasn't been possible with white decal paper. Is this technique a savior? I guess time will tell.
I've used cunsumer inkjet printers and worked very well you can actually get white sheets of water transfer paper.

I've used cunsumer inkjet printers and worked very well you can actually get white sheets of water transfer paper.
I understand that white decal paper is available. But in solving one problem, it introduces another--all empty space will appear as white. In many instances, that simply won't be a problem...in others, it's insurmountable.

For example, how does one replicate all-white silk screening on a Campus Green frame? That's a pretty tough gig for DIY water slide decals. However, the triangle on a Delta headlight? Easy-peasy. It all depends on the job.

I understand that white decal paper is available. But in solving one problem, it introduces another--all empty space will appear as white. In many instances, that simply won't be a problem...in others, it's insurmountable.

For example, how does one replicate all-white silk screening on a Campus Green frame? That's a pretty tough gig for DIY water slide decals. However, the triangle on a Delta headlight? Easy-peasy. It all depends on the job.
You can actually set your Cricut to cut out all empty space and cut the decal like a sticker. Cricut will allow you 1/16 of an inch I will start a thread and show how it is done.

Latest posts

Back