Which frames willl take a 24X3?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ratsters,

In my quest to make my Rat Rod, I'm learning exponentially thanks to the gazillion "been there, done thats" posted here. I thought there couldn't be any more time I could waste on my PC, but thanks to this site, those little projects around the house will have to wait a little longer :) :)

So far, I've learned that a middle weight 24" wheel frame won't accept the big meats I want (unless of course I'm Jesse James).

So onto the the 26" wheel frame quest.

Since my eyes suck, I can't drive anymore. So driving around to the various swap meets, LBSs, flea markets, etc. to scrounge for a frame ain't in my bag.

So to make my life a little easier, can those who run 24X3s tell me what frames have worked with and without modification, etc.

From looking at pics, it also looks like at minimum you'd need a diffent front fork to squeeze the meats in.

Thanks for being here!

Spin

From what I've seen, most 26" cruiser frames will accept the fat tires.
Forks would be a more specific search (to see which ones fit), I know that the convention spring fork needs to be modified to fit it, but can be.

"most" 26 inch cruiser frames that originally used 26X 2.125 tires will fit 24X3 tires. some will be closer than others and some you may have to play with the chain line to get it right but for the most part your safe. stay away from any middle weight frame as they wont cut it.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been scouring this sight for days now. Lots of info.

I've got my LBS on the hunt for a frame. He says people come in all the time and dump old bikes on him. Most of the time, he pulls of what's salvageble and then takes the frame to the dump :(

Spin

Back