Which power tool do I need? angle grinder or orbit sander?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orbitals are finish sanders for stuff like cabinetry and autobody.. grinders don't sand fine finishes too well unless you have LOTS of practice with a shoe , but are great for wire wheels and buffing.

i believe you never go wrong buying tools. :D espescially a name brand like dewalt. i think i woulda got the grinder first, but thats an opinion, not a fact.

ive used both, orbital works fine with some 80 grit pads, usually takes an hour and the edge of the pads seem to wear/tear up pretty quick though. usually go though about 5 pads on a bike. the gummier the paint the longer it takes though, rustoleum paints look decent but its a pain taking it off. turning the stereo up helps :wink:

the only problem ive had with either is the grinders usually tend to "dig". the sander wont do that, but it will take alot longer, the grinder is quick. sanders also can get in tight places. just my 2 cents

Best all around tool is a right angle pneumatic die-grinder with sanding disc.

Quick question. I just bought this angle grinder at HD. Online under the specs it indicates that this is a variable speed angle grinder and that the speed is controlled at the trigger switch. Does anyone know what the variable speeds are and how they are controlled by the trigger switch? Thanks.

I like to use an angle grinder with a wire brush cup to take off paint and rust, works super easy and doesn't wear away the metal underneath like a grinder wheel can. Just wear eye protection while using it, getting stabbed in the eye with a stray wire is not a fun time.

neither ; both are for flat surface.
which bicycles are not. using anything
except round blocks on tubing will give
a flat spotted surface. :arrow:

soda blasting is best for stripping paints. :idea: :mrgreen:

I haven't taken a bike down to bare metal yet. As some of you know, I am cheap, so I bought a Harbor Freight 4.5 grinder today for $10 at their tent sale. I know many people hate HF, but I figure if it lasts a year, at $10 it's golden. It's disposable (and no, I didn't get the extended service plan they offered me).

Back