White Widow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This 1978 Sears Free Spirit Chopper was in rough shape when I found her. A two hour drive and $150 bucks later and she was mine. I sold off the tank and chain guard and decided to make something of the rest of it. I wasn't a fan of the plastic tank so I decided to fabricate that, the chain guard and sissy bar. Paint is a two stage candy red. The forks, bars, sissy and accessories are matte black. I wanted the chain guard and spider to pop so I went with white, Which led me to the name White Widow. Kinda also inspired by the fact that we just moved to Charleston and my sons can't get over the fact that we actually have black widow spiders down here, (haven't seen one yet). I've been fabricating things for years but this is my first time doing a build off, or any competition like this. I had such a blast doing it!
Widow.jpg
Widow1.jpg
Widow2.jpg
Widow3.jpg
sissy2.jpg
Spider tank.jpg
over.jpg
Chainguard.jpg
Spider .jpg
widow4.jpg
last.jpg
Before.jpg

I have a few more goodies in the shed and hope this is my first of many! My intention is to sell the bike, but my son is already calling dibbs.
-Wayne

Fantastic! All of it. By the way, we have black widows in LA. When you finally see one, it's terrifying. They are unexpectedly small, which makes it worse, and you'll pick up a box and there it is - ready to kill your dog and make you really really sick.

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't encountered any Black Widows yet but have come across 2 copperhead snakes. Those are pretty scary. We didn't have critters like this up in NY!

Wicked work on that "Spyder" bike!!!!
You should add a link to your build thread.
Very cool concept and execution!!!!
BRAVO!!!

That's something you will have to determine: what is your work worth? Any rare/unusual parts to add value? Is there a hungry bike community where you are selling?
I'd say you should study a local classified app or whatever and see what people are asking for custom cruisers. Also go to the local SprawlMart and see what they are selling, and make it a point not to sell it for less than their junk, as yours is undoubtedly higher quality.
That's the long answer. Short answer is that I'd ask about $500 Canadian, and see what I'd get

That's something you will have to determine: what is your work worth? Any rare/unusual parts to add value? Is there a hungry bike community where you are selling?
I'd say you should study a local classified app or whatever and see what people are asking for custom cruisers. Also go to the local SprawlMart and see what they are selling, and make it a point not to sell it for less than their junk, as yours is undoubtedly higher quality.
That's the long answer. Short answer is that I'd ask about $500 Canadian, and see what I'd get

Thanks, Appreciate the answer. Theres a facebook group dedicated just to these specific bikes and I've seen guys get $700 for a clean restore but not complete or stock color. I just have no idea if custom brings price down .... regardless, I'm trying to not get too attached or my garage will fill up quick. I kinda like the idea of creating things and sending them out there into the world for others to enjoy. I already have my next build in mind, I think after seeing the other bikes in the build off I want to try a different style. I like the true rat rod look, pantina, cool oddball parts worked into the design. I thought "Cheap Copper" turned out real cool. It was one of my favorites...so thats where I'm heading next.

Like any fine art, it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. And the good news is you have a lot of crossover here:
bike builders and collectors
creepy spider Halloween types
the Goth crowd
Heavy Metal fans
It goes on...

Depending on how much effort you want to put into selling it, I would look into those and other groups and get a temperature of the response to the bike.

Latest posts

Back